It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What was that flash?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Not sure if this is the correct forum for this, but here we go.

So me and the family are going on vacation. We are on I-65 South in Alabama, around Huntsville, and had just passed that rest stop that has the big space rocket thingy. It's about 10pm on the 19th. I'm driving and wife is in the passenger seat, kids are in the back. My back is starting to get sore from sitting, so I lean forward, put my arms on the wheel and rest my head on my hands. The moon is about at my 1 o'clock so high that if I leaned back in my seat I wouldn't be able to see it. Then about at my 2 o'clock, a BRIGHT light flashes right in my face. It was about the same angle as the moon, but just a little further to my right. I would have seen neither had I not been leaned forward to give my back a stretch. Now it was so bright, that it was as if someone had a flash from a camera about 5 feet from my face.

I immediately asked my wife. "Did you see that?" She said, "yes, what was it?"

If, I had to guess, the only thing I could think of was if a helicopter had a search light on and it happened to go directly across my face for a split second. But I've never had that happen so that is pure speculation. I had no other theories. I do know, whatever it was came from the sky and it was not a reflection or lightning. Right after it happened I scanned the area and didn't see any other lights of any color. Except for the moon.

Any ideas on what that was? Anyone else in the area that just might have seen something?

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 06:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Tekaran

It's called a satellite flare.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 07:21 AM
link   

satellite flair or heat lighting

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 10:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

satellite flair or heat lighting

If it was a suddenly bright dot in the sky (which is what I assumed, right or wrong, from the context), then that seems to match a satellite flair, such as an Iridium Satellite.

According to Heavensabove.com, there was an iridium flare that could be seen from the location the OP mentioned at 10:08 PM. I'm not saying that's what it definitely was, but it could have been (or another satellite).

The Iridium communications satellites are of a design that they can become suddenly the brightest thing in the sky for a couple of seconds as the reflect sunlight from their solar panels. They go from invisible, to extremely bright, then fade back to invisibility all in that short span of a few seconds.

And (for people who don't know this) a satellite can be in a position to refelct sunlight back to your eye even if it is night for you. Also, an Iridium flare can be so bright sometimes that it could be seen during the day.

Interestingly, the new design for the next generation of Iridium communications satellites may not produce such intense flairs. So experience one while you still can.
edit on 20/7/2018 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

Awesome! I only suggested the heat lightning option if it was the whole sky in a flash...horizon to horizon of the viewing area...

Thanks...gonna keep my eyes to the sky!

Best-MS

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 04:22 PM
link   
High altitude sprite or jet that managed to make itself seen all the way to the ground.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Speed camera flash?

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Perhaps the government photographed you asleep at the wheel, from one of their surveillance drones.

Expect a ticket.

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a reply to: blackcrowe

I don't believe this was it. This was like someone litterally standing on the hood of my van with a camera and the flash went off in my face.

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 07:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Azdesertwatcher3000

I had considered this, but I was doing 71 in a 70 zone. And there was nothing along the side of the road but trees, and this flash came from above the trees.

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Yes. Exactly.

They do/can look like a very bright camera flash.

I offered my opinion.

There are other opinions.

I hope you find a suitable answer.

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I gotcha....you mean a fast flash huh.....or was it a camera flash speed?

We see more of these over the last decade.....I've seen em all, I'm the ats in charge of night vision watchman on the wall

The iridium satellites have less white and are slower.....in general and vary from 1 second to 18 seconds.....pushin it there.....they are the best thing to see.....iss too yeah

I've seen em all and even the stuff with no lights in a triangle shape yep....say no more mate

How fast was the flash....how intense......anything like a camera speed and intensity makes this the biggest flash yet, they stated out tiny two decades ago

You heard about the atmosheric flashes ? Huge areas but the eye doesn't quite catch it....video does....atmosheric group in Boulder caught that one

new topics

top topics

join