It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ford Gran Torino

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Just saw one like this in the Starsky & Hutch paint job. I was genuinely thilled to see it as it softly growled and cruised past me. A rare sight in the UK but I always loved this car and was a massive fan of the show in my youth. Anyway just thought i would share that but feel free to add any thoughts, memories or experiences of your own.

Sorry I uploaded pics but cant seem to add them here. Never mind im sure you all know what it looks like

edit on 19/7/18 by macpdm because: (no reason given)

edit on 19/7/18 by macpdm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: macpdm

Why can't you add pics? It's easy and it would help your thread.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a reply to: LightSpeedDriver

I honestly tried but when I click insert image from your library I just get a blank box with a green cross in the corner

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Quote my post to see how you post pics from your library. I apologise for the rainbow farts in advance.
It should be easy.

ETA Ad-blockers can be a problem if you may be using one of those. If you're on a mobile, I can't help you as I only use a PC.
edit on 19/7/18 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Ah ok so you use a bit of html language. I used img instead of pic as it wasnt working

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 08:18 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: macpdm

You didn't upload it to your library. This is the way to quote external (read: on another website) images.
edit on 19/7/18 by LightSpeedDriver because: (no reason given)

ETA I see you adjusted the OP. A link to a photo works too.

edit on 19/7/18 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

edit on 19/7/18 by LightSpeedDriver because: Correction

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I used to have a 1970 red grand Torino sport with a white stripe on it back around seventy seven. I bought it from my cousin's husband for a hundred bucks, drove it for over a year and sold it for a hundred bucks. There were two bullet holes in it from when it wouldn't start for him when we were out deer hunting, he got pissed at it, I bought it after he got it running, he wanted something more reliable since he only had one car and only had one parking spot where they lived.

It just needed some distributor work, I just tuned it up and it never gave me a problem. The bullets did not damage anything. That is good therapy.
edit on 19-7-2018 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Theres one around town here, owned by guy who owns a repair shop.but earlier model, one of those limited production (COPO) deals.....no back seat, radio/heater delete. 429 or 428 (owner called it a 'side oiler')....it was a limited production run to allow it to run in nascar back the, had to have x amount to run in nascar.
He took me for a ride in it some time ago, and holy moley, it was a beast!

Back then only had 38k miles on it......he opened the hood, and you couldnt see daylight, it was that tight in there......

I wanna meet the guy who has the track version 69 hemi roadrunner i see a couple times a year, in my town......it sounds nasty, literally shakes windows when it goes by.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Wait...what? He shot the car because it wouldn't start? I am not a mechanic but that sounds kinda ....weird.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 09:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: LightSpeedDriver
a reply to: rickymouse

Wait...what? He shot the car because it wouldn't start? I am not a mechanic but that sounds kinda ....weird.

He was pissed at it, he was calm after he shot it in the front fender with his 30-30 twice. It was strange that it did not hurt it mechanically, one went through the fender and into the firewall, the other just went out the bottom behind the engine.

I was right there when he did it.

Us Yoopers do not shoot cars in the cities, we do it out in the woods.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Honestly, my only real complaint about ATS is how stupidly difficult it is to post pictures!!

Oh, I know how to do it, but it makes absolutely no sense why it's so difficult and laborious. Shouldn't require that many steps. It's not like posting pictures isn't already difficult enough, what with modern cameras taking billion pixel pictures. First they have to be downloaded off the camera. Then they have to be resized. Then they have to be saved on your local hard drive (or a hosting service). Then they have to be uploaded to your ATS account. Then they have to be coded for posting. It's just way too many steps to post any quantity of pictures, and it's nearly impossible from a phone.

I'd post pictures of all kinds of stuff if it was easier, but I refuse to do it until the process is streamlined.

Sorry, OP, off-topic, I know.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

No its fine appreciate the input. I think I am fairly literate online and post pics fine every where else but here

Anyway thanks one and all for some great replies

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I could jump off a bridge for what I'm about to say here, I still can't believe this fully 30+ years later! ...

A coworker and I decided one time we were going to enter a demolition derby (they had them every couple weeks on Friday nights in my town growing up). Only problem was, we didn't have a car to enter. My coworker had a buddy who's elderly grandmother had this "old beater" and she was willing to GIVE it to us if we'd come pick it up.

Turned out the car was a GT (just like the starsky and hutch ones). Car was straight with no dents. Had a 351 Cleveland motor in it (which was a great motor!). We eagerly picked up the car, and then proceeded to pull the 351 Cleveland out of it (because they were awesome motors). We had an old 351 Windsor laying around (which was a sucky engine) and we stuck that in it (the bell housings and motor mounts matched). We then painted the car up all cool for the demo derby...not even thinking about the fact this car was a legendary GT. We also pulled the radiator out of the front and mounted it on the side of the block (most demo derby cars meet their end by overheating due to radiator damage). We were ready and hyped up to win.

On Friday night that car was completely demolished. It did okay, but Plymouth Fury's were battle tanks, and there were several in our heats. We didn't win. But the GT was completely destroyed.

To this day I can't believe we did that. With a little bit of work that car probably could go for BIG money at one of the big car auctions today!

I still kick myself over this!

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Now THAT is a story! You have a way with words and a way with stories. Thank you, I have nothing.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Great story and sort of been there myself. Had some great cars pass through my hands which would be worth a small fortune now

new topics

top topics

join