It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Universe's expansion may be due to gravity 'leaking'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 05:58 AM
link   
www.scienceagogo.com...

Intersting link with a nice explination. This only thing i can't get my head around is if gravity is leaking, where is it leaking to. It can't just disappear can it?

[edit on 21-2-2005 by phixion]

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Dark energy may not be responsible for the cosmic acceleration of the universe after all, says New York University physicist Georgi Dvali. Dvali suggests that the accelerating universe may be due to the modification of the standard laws of gravity at very large distances caused by extra space dimensions into which gravity "leaks".

what information set is he using? we certainly do not understand how anything acts/reacts outside of our solar system, its pure speculation. if by the 'standard laws of gravity' he means 'the supersmall sample we have observed in our own solar system'...

in other words no laws of gravity are being broken/bent, the rules are just different out there.

but the theory itself is possible, and hopefully it will teach us to quit thinking so reative to us...

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 08:45 PM
link   
fascinating theory what if the ET's actually use gracity as fuel there by extracting the total gravitational sum of the universe! hey you never know, and i think its highly probably that once one were to achieve a sufficient understand of gravity that one would be able to exploit its power relatively of course just like any other force we exploit. just as we are now currently in the proccess of learning the wonders of magnetism and exploiting it to its fullest potential more advanced species would be able to the same with just about every force in the universe.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Entropy and thermodynamics state that overall higher energy states tend to flow to lower energy states, so we can assume the leaking gravity is going "downhill" to a lower dimension, cooling our universe due to sortof adiabatic expansion, heatdeath, also the possible implication is that this lower dimension would contract due to increased gravity!, perhaps even these lower dimensions would contract to a singularity, contractionheat, might cause a big bang...In hat case the cycle reverses and gravity from that hotter universe might flow to our cold universe etc....

question is, why aren't we registered gravity, or other leakage (in perhaps the weak/strong force etc) from higher dimensions, is our dimension on top of our local mountain ????

Perhaps Orbiting the dense space curvature near black holes (or gravastars i like that theory better) may be the only safe place when the Big RIP tears the space time continuum appart. Ideally one would build a Dyson sphere around and by dipping tethers from all sides into its magetosphere, convert the huge amount of kinetic spin of the gravastar into electricity, Once the gravastar stops spinning in a few million years, due to continous extraction, you can always "feed" the gravastar with small asteroids and catch the deathscream gamma yars when it plunges into the event horizon, this will give another tens of million years.

If Hawkins radiation exist (wich is still under debate) one could try catch Hawkins radiation for energy source and get another dozens of millions of years of civilisation time....

[edit on 25-2-2005 by Countermeasures]

[edit on 25-2-2005 by Countermeasures]

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Countermeasures - An accurate description if you believe in String Theory and super symmetry.

However, I believe the universe is not expanding at all!!!

I believe that all matter is shrinking and thus gives the impression that the universe is expanding.

Somewhat like sitting on a train and looking at the train opposite. when the other train moves it feel and looks like you are moving. Einstein’s law of relativity applies still in my theory just the perspective is slightly different.

The cosmological constant is not static it is however constant, it uniformly changes (getting smaller)

Now the key to understanding this that some scientist have said that the uncertainty principle would eventually apply once matter has become small enough for quantum effects to take hold... This is true to a point but only if the cosmological constant was a static figure.

Anyone else feel they are a little denser this morning lol

Neon.

top topics

join