It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RPCS3 Emulator

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2018 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Started playing around with the RPCS3 Emulator and was just wondering if anyone else is currently messing around or using the software?

I'm interested in your experience and any tips or opinions you may have to offer regarding the emulator.

So what do you think fellow ATS members? Whats the best games, playable, barely playable, i should be attempting to emulate?

My Specs: AMD Ryzen 1600X(4.1Ghz), 16Gb DDR4, GTX 1070 8Gb
Intel i52500K(4.8Ghz), 12Gb DDR3, GTX 770 4Gb

rpcs3.net...

edit on 24-6-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2018 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Even with the fantastic rig you have, methinks anything you do get to work will be incredibly slow.

Emulators don't tend to work too well, even with last gen consoles.

I however do use a C64 emulator and it works great! Amazing how well some games made in the 80s still stand the test of time.

posted on Jun, 24 2018 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: nightbringr

It's not fantastic rig but cheers

More like a middle to half decent setup.

Fantastic would be a top of the line Core i7/AMD Threadipper with 2 GTX1080Ti.

But it does the job, to be honest, the i5 rig is just as good.

Persona 5 and Yakuza 4 are somewhat playable already, so far, averaging around 30fps.

If this emulator goes the way say CEMU has, then with every iteration, more and more games will become perfectly playable.

Loved my C64 emulator, second system i ever owned bar the beloved Spectrum 48k.

posted on Jun, 24 2018 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Given its still work in process its doing well but CPU emulation can be a right royal pain the the butt and also sometimes games expect the timing of the CPU for doing certain things and some games may expect a response from one command at a certain time and if it doesn't turn up at that moment things can go south very fast.

Theres also the problem that certain graphics cards are better than other and not always is the latest the best as really if I was wanting to emulate a system I'd want as much as possible hardware from the people who sold stuff to Sony as that hardware may require less massaging to do the job.

It may be better to do some transcoding before playing the game as some instructions emulated may be better off being put into what the CPU understands before so you basically get a game disc image thats half and half but thats a totally different level of pain and never mind the constantly changing driver versions for PC etc.

posted on Jun, 24 2018 @ 01:03 PM
link   
general rule is u need 3x the power of the original system to emulate it

posted on Jun, 24 2018 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: markovian

Well a hexacore 12 thread CPU running at 4+Ghz is not to far off the 3x power map.

The real issue is the complexity of the Cell processor that the PS3 used, which at the time was quite revolutionary.

Just like with CEMU through, with each iteration, these emulators seem to be getting better.

Bit of a difference all the same between emulation of a Wii/WiiU and a PS3.

Nice to be able to enjoy PS3 exclusives on the PC all the same.

posted on Jun, 24 2018 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: nightbringr
a reply to: andy06shake

Even with the fantastic rig you have, methinks anything you do get to work will be incredibly slow.

Emulators don't tend to work too well, even with last gen consoles.

I however do use a C64 emulator and it works great! Amazing how well some games made in the 80s still stand the test of time.

Atari 800 emulator works well too - I never thought I'd ever get to see my old projects from the 1980's ever run again.

posted on Jun, 24 2018 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

Blast from the past indeed.

I'm playing around with Persona 5 right now, it's working quite well so far, averaging around 25fps.

Not exactly playable by most peoples standards, but it looks like as the emulator compiles data, the shader cache improves.

Also messing around with Yakuza 4, that's running around 15-20fps, but by the looks of it there is plenty of room for improvement.

posted on Jun, 24 2018 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Buy a PS 3 cheap ?
The PS3 , if I remember correctly , had a cell processor jointly developed by Sony and IBM. Nothing in the world can touch it. However , cell processors are RISC based. That is the glory of them.
x86 CPUs will always have a devil of a time trying to emulate the architecture .

posted on Jun, 24 2018 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

I had a PS3, got a PS4 now.

It's not really about being able to play the games per say, bar a few, i just like to tinker with the software and see whats possible and then move along to the next one.

Think the Cell was indeed RISC architecture. RISC v CISC problem is down to different instruction sets i suppose hence the reason it has taken so long to build a working emulator.

Smart little piece of software really.

new topics

top topics

join