It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Earth Plate Is Breaking in Two

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rock Hunter
This paper is nearly 10 years old. It was published in 1995. The paper isn't really anything that amazing, its simply saying that a zone of intraplate stess actually fits better when thought of as a seprate plate boundary.

Mmm, yees, but since the earth is compressed, what would come up between the tectonic plates if they turn from eachother in an area where a third plate aren't able to squeeze itself into place. In my delirius dreams, I think that would make room for a softspot. Let's say a new supervulcano? -if there isn't one there already? Could Sumatra be onsite of this softspot? Has it been a softspot? Like 78.000 years ago (Toba)?
I haven't really clarified where actually the three plates meet, anyone have a map of it to post here? Tnx.

-Sorry WyrdeOne, found the map now!

[edit on 14-4-2005 by Ulvetann]

From what WyrdeOnes map,Tectonic plates, could tell me, the actual softspot should appear further south than where Toba's at, because of the plates movement the last 78.000 years. But on the other hand, if the chimney is already there, it would be logical to think that it is easier for magma to come through that chimney. Right?

[edit on 14-4-2005 by Ulvetann]

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Ulvetann: All of what you have said doesn't make any geological sense, softspots, chimmneys???

I don't think you've got the right Idea unfortunatly

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   

<< 1   >>

join