It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Senator Clinton Pushes for Voting Holiday: Also Ex Felons Should Vote

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by onlyinmydreams

The common sense logic behind not allowing felons to vote:

It doesn't make sense to let criminals influence the criminal justice system.

Then most politicians would be out of office, correct?

And sorry.... that 'they paid their debt to society' line is bogus. Felons -- and to be clear, we're talking about rapists, murderers, gangbangers, pedophiles -- have a tendency to fill-out what is called the 'criminal class' in sociology. They repeat their crimes and often choose to live a life where they live off of them.

Then why let them out? These people should be locked up for life or executed. I am MUCH more worried about them raping my children than voting for a Democrat, but I guess we each have our priorities

So, does it make any sense to let elections hinge on the promises candidates are willing to make to rapists and murderers?

Its much better to have them hinge on promises made to RICH criminals who rape the tax payers

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling
Is this an OP/ED piece Fred? Because it sure as hell reads like a Republican Party talking points memo for the issue.

Spare me Nerdling. Please show me the BIAS in the opening article????? The Bottom article is for my opinion. You never seemed to spare any of your opinions around here so what exactly is the beef???? Spin it anyway you want, I reserve the right to spin it any way I want in my COMENTARY section. PERIOD.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

Is this an OP/ED piece Fred? Because it sure as hell reads like a Republican Party talking points memo for the issue.

Spare me Nerdling. Please show me the BIAS in the opening article????? The Bottom article is for my opinion. You never seemed to spare any of your opinions around here so what exactly is the beef???? Spin it anyway you want, I reserve the right to spin it any way I want in my COMENTARY section. PERIOD.

So you wrote a 50 word lead in. The rest of the "article" is sheer hackery, don't defend it with "oh but we can express our opinions" that's not just an "opinion" you made gross generalisations about either party and then attacked the Democratic party.

You took a shot at the party and a possible candidate for election, you made sweeping generalisations and took it upon yourself to say why the parties are different.

This is all whilst you're supposed to be writing to educate and inform the public. Deny Bias.

Spin it whichever way you want. I know you have opinions and you have the right to express them, It's most unprofessional to do that whilst you're trying to tell a story authoritively.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Funny, when the shoe is on the other foot Nerdling cries "foul"

How exactly is anything I say untrue?

Friends of Hillary her election campaign is pushing this bill hard. It highlights a fundamental difference between the two parties. Republicans want to eliminate the possibility of voter fraud, while the Democrats seem bent on letting everybody vote eligible or not.

Okay Lets break it down here: From the article in question

Clinton echoed those comments, though her senatorial re-election committee, Friends of Hillary, is pushing the bill hard.

and

Both parties have called for changes to ensure a more accurate vote count. Republican efforts have centered on reducing voter fraud, while Democrats have called for making access to the ballot box easier and simpler.

Hmmm my Republican Bias is no more or less than the material and commnetary you provided during the election campaign. I realize this hits close to home what with your 'Friends of Hillary" signature an all but really now. Do you mean "Deny Bias" as long as it agrees with your personal politics :shk:

So after thier election loss in which they out-raised the Republicans what are the Democrats offering? Ex Felons voting? Removing the pro abortion plank to garner votes? Opening up the balloting to anybody, citizen or not that has a pulse and can get to the polls? May be time to start looking ahead to 2012!

Where exactly is your problem here? The Democrats did outraise the Republicans and still lost. They are comptemplating the removal of thier abortion plank to curry favor with the pro Life crowd. They are pushing for ex felons to vote. They want unrestrictive access to polls and have faught attempts to require positive identification at polls.

So really now if anything my rhetoric is far less spun than yours

as a little reminder from the submission text

You must give us an additional one to three paragraph comment, in your own words, that will help our members understand your analysis or point of view on the news article you're submitting

I draw your attention to "in your own words, that will help our members understand your analysis or point of view"

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I'm sorry, but if you can't see what you've done wrong then I feel sorry for you.

Then again, it's always been about your viewpoints since day one Fred, haven't you been called on about bias before?

I'm not getting into a slagging match about this Fred. Its unprofessional.

Who was applauded for election night coverage? Who was applauded for coverage of the Reagan funeral? What about my work on bipartisanship? impartiality when covering debates?

I had never read "provide your spin and/or opinion on the reference news article" to mean yellow journalism.

Shameful.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 03:07 PM
link   

I'm sorry, but if you can't see what you've done wrong then I feel sorry for you.

I would like to point out that you made the first move in this little discussion not me when a simple u2u to me would have been much more professional. Instead you CHOSE to comment in a public forum, or if you felt that it was such a clear cut case of "yellow journalism" then why didn't you file a comment/sugestion/complaint??? No again you chose to make your political issues public and cloak them in the guise of "professionalism"

I feel sorry for you Nerdling as you fail to see what is unprofessional about your actions either.

and talk about the pot calling the kettle black

Then again, it's always been about your viewpoints since day one Fred, haven't you been called on about bias before?

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 03:19 PM
link   

I'm dropping this. If you're happy with writing like this, go ahead.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 04:24 PM
link   
And people wonder why America is so divided...we go by gut reaction...this thread has turned into a shouting match and both of you are proving the other's point. These posts are more about drawing blood from each other and not the issue. If i were to leave America...which i do not plan to, I would do so because of ignorant people like you two who go solely by emotion and no thought. I am against the law but according to the constitution it is up to the individual states. There, you see I deciphered and analyzed the issue without attacking the poster. America sucks because people cannot back up their principles...as a great man said: "Politics in America is about Preaching what society thinks is right in public and then running naked in the forest when no one is looking"

Good Day,
CAConrad0825 Executive Unofficial Self-Appointed Moderator and Professional Academic Technician (AKA College Student)

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 05:08 PM
link   
If not for their money, there would be a hell of a lot more Republican felons out there, hell, Mr. patriot himself, Ollie North wouldn't be allowed to vote if we had justice in this country. Nixon, hell I might as well say it--Ronald Regan---Real Crimes. And oh yeah--for chasing pussy--Billy boy, but then that would open a whole new can of worms and you'd see Democrats and Republicans all over the country without a vote. It's hard to part hairs when you start pointing fingers. I have no problem with victimless criminals.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 05:15 PM
link   
And to think I left this morning thinking this was going to be a discussion about how idiotic calling a federal holiday was. Well, how silly of me.

All I can say after reading what this has turned into is thank god a lot of you aren't God. A person does their jail time, pays their debt to society, makes a better life for themselves and perhaps others. Still no redeeming grace? Well, if we can't ever rectify even stupid mistakes made when younger and stupider - what is the point? We must all be going to hell.

Honestly, I think the real issue that has been raised (if we are only going to discuss the felon aspect) is that voting is a national event. The rules for something the entire nation takes part in should NOT vary from state to state. That is ludicrous!

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I f I am not mistaken wasn't it Clinton who enacted the three strikes your out crap? Who says that Democrats are necessarily lighter on criminals, I think that is the beiggest crock I have ever heard!

Anyways obviously we have here a huge divide once again that seems like it is going nowhere to meet a middle ground, oh well. Criminals are not criminals once they are released, they are ex cons, if they choose to reoffend and get sent back to jail then they are criminals again. Otherwise what if they only offend once do their time are released and do not reoffend, why are these people being barred from the most important democratic rights.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I also think that it is a bunch of bull that these people should be considered outside of society and that they consciously ripped up some social contract or something. If they have no expectations to regain some stature or position in society after their release what is going to stop them from reoffending? What would be the plus side? tHAT IS A HUGE FACTOR IN REOFFENDING.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Did ANYONE catch the part that "She only doing this so more blacks can vote."??? Wait, so all ex-felons are black, there are no hispanic, white, or asian ex-felons? So there are no republican ex-felons? All ex-felons are black democrats? Oh wait, you a republican, sorry, though I was dealing with someone with an IQ over Bush's.

Ok, making it a holiday is a great idea, shows that something small likie voting for the future of your country is just as important as getting drunk on New Year's Eve or St. Paddys Day.

Ex-Felons? Key word, EX-FELON. They are not in jail for jay walking, they have gone to jail for jay walking with a expired parking ticket, they should be allowed to vote. Oh wait, I forgot, all Ex-Felons are black democrats that rape, kill, and commit arson.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 09:33 PM
link   
You forget that not all republicans are white. Political parties are not about race and I am tired of people making that an issue. You must remember that many democrats today subscribe to the Democratic platform of the early 20th century....where they even had a KKK leader as a candidate for Senate! How's that for the party of the minorities?! And why is it that all minority groups except asians are included in this "racist" mud flinging? If anything they had the worst time than any of the minorities...I've heard more Ching-Chong jokes from blacks than whites and I don't remember blacks being herded into concentration camps because the US is at War with Africa. And if someone says anything about Slavery, let me set you straight right now: My family came over to America in 1892 from Italy, I am part Moroccan, and a good majority of my friends are black. However here is the fact that every person who brings up slavery needs to know: Estate of JOSHUA J. WARD, at SC, Georgetown, roll 1235 page 212, holding 1,130 slaves ( the largest holder of African Slaves in America and guess what? He was a freed slave! There were blacks then who profited off the misery of their fellow man. Just as white people do to white people. Why is it the people who want us to be equal together are always bashing one race as "trouble makers" or "being ignorant racists".

Also in response to the post about the decision of the states deciding a national issue here are a few tips:
1) Read your constitution. It may not be required to vote but it's part of your civic duty. Remember that thing? Civic duty?
2) If you don't like the fact that when an issue is not decided upon by the federal government it becomes a states jurisdiction the you have a few choices: Get the constitution changed, leave the US or deal with it.
3) Also in the constution is the rule that you cannot challenge a law that does not exist. Therefore unless there is a convict who has sued to get his voting rights returned then, the supreme court cannot review the case and therefore it will take the congress to change it.

Well it seems that you have a lot of work to do if this is what you really want to happen. The best thing about this nation is that if you feel this passionate about the returning of voting rights to the ex-cons, ex-felons or whatever the title is for them this week ...then you have the ability to bring about change. Think of how many places where just saying something like this could get you charged with an equivalent to a felony. Rights need to be defended and laws enforced. READ YOUR CONSTITUTION! That should be the only requirement to vote, and I bet no one will make it to the polls, including the candidates! LOL

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join