It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pet food recall!!! Pet owners pls read.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 07:02 PM
link   
My wife has brought it to my attention that there is a large pet food recall from the Smuckers company.
Independent labs have confirmed a euthanasia drug has been found in the linked list of pet foods.
Please, if you have any of these brands throw them out and switch to a different brand.

The article even goes on to state that this drug is typionly found in animals that have been put down by it.
That really makes you wonder what the hell it is these companies are putting in their so called "Pet Food"
Pet food recall brands

Even if you think you know what's in your pets food, or the brand, please check this list and then double check it.
A couple minutes of your time can mean the difference to your fur baby.

On a side note, I would like to know what brands you feed your cats and dogs.
My Alaskan Malamute - Loki, was on blue but now he's on Actrium Holistic.
My 2 cats - Rocky and Adrienne, were on a specialty mix that we would have delivered from the local maker. But after moving to the country side, we are out of their delivery area. So now they are on Meow Mix wet foods.
Meow Mix is also made by Smuckers.
So tomorrow we are going to Be heading out to the pet store to get a more quality brand name.

I'm open to recommendations here.
So please, if you are feeding a quality brand to your cats, can you post which ones they are so I can look into them.
Thanks ATS!

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

That was a month and a half ago...

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 07:17 PM
link   
This has been going on a while but worth while to keep blowing the horn..

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

So no big deal then I guess.

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Looks like it's mostly dog food not cat food.

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I find it interesting that the same names of pet food keep coming up in these alerts.

In the area where I live, these brands are on the low end of price.

Are they trying to get folks to spend more money to keep their dogs safe?

It seems like they are targeting a certain group of people.

And to reply to your post to wb. I think it is a very big deal.
edit on 12-4-2018 by crappiekat because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Being that it said Pets, I was interested and concerned, but it's just dog food only... Phew...

Ok, now that I am done having a heart attack, I hope everyone's dogs are safe.
Man's best friend deserves better than this.

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 07:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

That was a month and a half ago...

Very good. I bet teacher gives you a gold star. Let's see if I can do one. Hmm... Ooh, ok I know one! The scientific name for a dog, is canine.

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82
a reply to: watchitburn

So no big deal then I guess.

No, it IS a big deal. It's just that it's kind of like announcing breathlessly to us all that Trump won the election.

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 07:57 PM
link   
My cats won't eat wet food. I buy Fancy Feast dry in the 3 popular flavors and combine them into one. They won't eat anything else.

PS: That's not entirely true. One of my cats is a killer extraordinaire. He hunts birds but his expertise is mice. He is a top mouser. Brings them in the house at times and eats them under my bed.

edit on 12-4-2018 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 08:18 PM
link   

This is was/still going on???? Wow time to stop buying from the horse suppliers.

This is an article from February 2017.
www.usatoday.com...

Fifteen states are affected by the Hunk of Beef Au Jus recall. The 12-ounce cans were  manufactured June 6-13 and sold in stores and online in Washington, California, Minnesota, Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, Massachusetts, Maryland, South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida.

I use Purina One Lamb and Rice smart blend. Never had a problem in 20 years and 8 dogs.

Thanks for the heads up again, can't believe they're still having issues.

edit on 12-4-2018 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Its a walmart brand but we give our cat pure balance dry food and Merrick wet food. Both have no grains as fillers. The pure balance does use rice as one of its fillers but merrick uses potato and sweet potato quite a bit.

On a side note and im sure you know this but make sure to ween if possible.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 01:09 PM
link   
First off sorry if this sounds preachy or like I'm slamming anyone this is NOT my intent. I got tired of my dogs dying early(10-12 years) and started researching why and tracked a lot of it to dog food. RickyMouse talks about a lot of this stuff wwt humans, but at least our food is semi monitored, dog/pet food is very poorly regulated or monitored and a lot of pets suffer for it.

Merrick and Purina (who bought Merrick) and most 'commercial' dog food, get their supplements and such from China which has zero quality control and add in all kinds of bad sh*t. Another problem is most brands use the same manufacturing facilities to make their food. A lot of the time they may not always clean their equipment well enough before making a new brand/batch. This can cross contaminate foods between brands etc and for dogs with allergies etc that need say grain free or brands that have a lot of recall problems it can be really bad. Diamond makes a lot of dog food I think and has a horrible reputation.

If you are feeding your pet any of the foods on that list in the article, it's kinda the same thing as feeding your kid nothing but candy, McDonald's, soda etc etc etc, those are about the WORST brands you can feed. You're pet is going to poop a lot more absorb a lot less and be less healthy. On a premium or semi premium food they absorb better and poo less, have healthier coats, better digestion(less farting bad breath), just overall better health.

There are a lot of brands out there that are actually reasonable price wise and very good food. But a general rule of thumb is if you see it on TV don't feed it. Really why do our pets mostly die in 6-10 years of cancer or have major allergies etc? Obviously there are exceptions. But way too many pets anymore don't last more than to maturity. It's agonizing.

If you're a lucky individual who feeds a bad brand and your dog hasn't had issues, count yourself lucky that you happened to get a dog with an Iron Man constitution. Most dogs will die early on that crap. Think how much healthier and how much longer they'd live on a good food as opposed to a McDonald's diet. There is a reason when you switch dog foods they tend to get diarrhea and upset tummies on commercial foods. Poor ingredients. You can easily switch between high quality foods with little to zero upset for your dog because they don't add sh*t that causes the problems.

This site does a really good job breaking down dog foods. Also a LOT of really knowledgeable pet health folks post in the comments. You can also sign up for recall notices on this site. As soon as they go out you get an email.

AGAIN sorry if I sound preachy I do NOT intend it this way. I just love animals and want to help where I may! Take it or leave it, I only want to help!

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Lilroanie
No you not being preachy.
It's good that you know a lot about this because a lot of don't... like myself.
Like I said last night, this morning we went to pet value to change brands.
We were lucky enough to actually speak with a nutritionist there and she broke it down into simple terms what all this garbage on the labels mean.
Basically we got the sense that mystery meat is abound in most cheaper brands.
Avoid anything that's a "By product meal" and use caution with fillers like corn, wheat and soy.
We picked up a bag of "Blue" for indoor health for the cats to try. Gonna mix it with their current food u til weened off.
Here's a pic of their ingredient list and supplements that are in it.

We also picked up a small bag for the dog to be reintroduced to which is "Blue Wilderness"
His current food is one of the higher end Walmart brands -Actrium Holistic, its still a decent brand, but there's something in it that he's allergic to.
He's been getting ear infections.
He has an appointment at the vet on the 20th (Earliest time slot) so he can have it treated.
Thankfully the big guy lets the wife clean his ears with Q-Tips.

For those of you reading this, that like me, started your pets out on a quality brand but ended up cheaping out because the pet food was available at the same spot as the grocery store...
Do your pets a favour and take that extra 15--20 minutes to stop at the pet food store as well.
Your little guys will thank you for it.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Check that brand on that website I posted. I Think that's the Diamond brand. Really bad track history of salmonella and other bad stuff. I'm not 100% sure but check. Many of the 4 and 5 star foods are good. Make sure you read the comments too because they give detailed info/experiences that the basic break down of ingredients does not give. Like there's been major issues with blue buffalo and a few other 5 star brands lately. Like I said if you see it on TV it's being made by companies that use Chinese ingredients. Even the 'high quality' brands.

4 stars are more affordable usually. I actually feed a 4 star (Kirkland) and Avo Derm rotating diet because my husky is super finicky and gets bored eating the same stuff all the time. I mix it 50/50 when I feed because I can't afford to feed straight Avo Derm, and it works really well.

ETA: I looked it up and it looks like it is a Blue Buffalo food. Be VERY careful 4-5 years ago they changed their formula and a LOT of dogs have died, gotten serious bloody diarrhea, vomit, kidney/bladder stones, all attributed to BB. It happened to my husky and her sister when they were puppies.
edit on 4/13/2018 by Lilroanie because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 08:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Lilroanie

Sweet Jesus!

Luckily it's only a starter size we bought of each bag, so no big loss.
I'll check out that site now.
Thanks again!

top topics

join