It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan activates first marines since WW2 to bolster defenses against China

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   
www.reuters.com...

The formation of the Japanese marine brigade is controversial because amphibious units can project military force and could, critics warn, be used to threaten Japan’s neighbors. In its post World War Two constitution Japan renounced the right to wage war.

The brigade is the latest component of a growing marine force that includes helicopter carriers, amphibious ships, Osprey tilt-rotor troop carriers and amphibious assault vehicles, meant to deter China as it pushes for easier access to the Western Pacific.

oh boy, more military, more sword rattling, more buildup. Cue the Four Horsemen.

I blame China. no need for all this expansionism.

I'm no expert but apparently these guys have been after each other for over a thousand years.
can't we all just get along?

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Saw that, I know a year or so ago they were trying to work on a SE Asian Nato with a primary purpose to halt expansion by China primarily.

As for the Marine unit, its a direction Japan has been moving for some time, I fully expect a move soon to make it official and allow them to stand up a full military officially.

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 01:19 PM
link   
You don't need to be an expert to know the Chinese outnumber the Japanese.

Since the end of world war two Japan has outsourced their national security to the US.

Japan isn't the only neighbor that is threaten by Chinese imperialism(had to).

Even if those neighbors formed a coalition of the willing.

Still wouldn't be a contest.

China has the numbers.

China has the industry( Something we used to have and no longer).

China holds a significant portion of debt world wide.

A confrontation with China isn't going to go like people think it would.

edit on 8-4-2018 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Well China always had huge numbers over Japan and it never helped them... but that industry angle oh noes. Its what won US WW2.

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

It really was.

'The arsenal of democracy' has been outsourced.

Manufacturing played the biggest part of it.

Have to produce goods to go fight with.

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
a reply to: neo96

Well China always had huge numbers over Japan and it never helped them... but that industry angle oh noes. Its what won US WW2.

Being that Japan is one of the few countries left who respect their culture? Pay attention to how they are treated for not welcoming diversity!

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
Saw that, I know a year or so ago they were trying to work on a SE Asian Nato with a primary purpose to halt expansion by China primarily.

isn't there a SEATO?

are they trying to form one without the US?

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: ElGoobero
www.reuters.com...

The formation of the Japanese marine brigade is controversial because amphibious units can project military force and could, critics warn, be used to threaten Japan’s neighbors. In its post World War Two constitution Japan renounced the right to wage war.

The brigade is the latest component of a growing marine force that includes helicopter carriers, amphibious ships, Osprey tilt-rotor troop carriers and amphibious assault vehicles, meant to deter China as it pushes for easier access to the Western Pacific.

oh boy, more military, more sword rattling, more buildup. Cue the Four Horsemen.

I blame China. no need for all this expansionism.

I'm no expert but apparently these guys have been after each other for over a thousand years.
can't we all just get along?
After Japan's expansion into China and war crimes against the Chinese in WWII, I fear for the Japanese now that China is flexing its muscles.

I lived in China. Many there have abject hatred for the Japanese due to the past. The Japanese never really have apologized for their misdeeds, and even in the last decade senior officials have honored the leaders who were responsible for such acts as the Rape of Nanking.

new topics

top topics

join