It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cape Town to run out of water, outlets to be guarded by military, city mayor tells India Today

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 12:52 PM
link   
www.indiatoday.in...< br />

South Africa's Cape Town is facing severe drought for the third consecutive year, with water levels in dams and reservoirs drastically reduced.

According to a weekly update from the department of water affairs, dam levels in the Western Cape Province further fell to 23.7 per cent this week from 24.5 per cent previous week, and from 36.5 percent a year ago, reported news agency Reuters.

The city is now facing the prospect of having to turn the taps off under a so-called 'Day Zero' scenario to conserve the city's remaining water supplies; Cape Town mayor's office told India Today.

really getting bad out there

happily a rare February rain is scheduled for this weekend
www.thesouthafrican.com...

According to Accuweather, Cape Town averages only around 18 mm (0.70 of an inch) of rainfall for the entire month of February with an average of only five days with measurable precipitation.

With more than 15mm of rain predicted to fall in just a few hours over certain parts of the city, Cape Town will be in for more than a month’s worth of rainfall in just one night. Make the most of it, because we don’t know when the Mother City will see a deluge like this again.

city pastor named Mboro is taking credit for praying the rain in

Controversial church leader Paseka Motsoeneng, also known as Pastor Mboro, claims it is because of him and his prayer that Cape Town will be experiencing rain on Friday.

According to TimesLIVE, Mboro was in Cape Town on Wednesday undertaking 90 days of prayer.

He told the publication that the Western Cape is experiencing drought due to people focusing on science and not God. Mboro added that the upcoming rain expected tonight is because he is a “true prophet” of God.

“It’s a confirmation that I am a true prophet and whatever that I have promised Cape Town has come to pass. God answered my prayers and many people witnessed that,” Mboro said.

wonder if they should be considering desalinization?

edit on 9-2-2018 by ElGoobero because: add content

edit on 9-2-2018 by ElGoobero because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 01:54 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I remember hearing about this several weeks ago from some obscure news app I have on my phone. :/
It's been a dream of mine to visit Capetown, so naturally I perked up when I saw the headline. Scary stuff.

What's scarier is that I didn't hear about it at all in any mainstream news until these past several days.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: ReyaPhemhurth

It's almost like they don't want anyone to know, isn't it?

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 06:11 PM
link   

It's been reported for quite a while.

Link from June

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct

It's been reported for quite a while.

Link from June

reported, yes.
featured, no.
if it doesn't make Trump look bad the media isn't interested.

this is an ongoing issue. thank goodness for Reuters and foreign news media.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: ElGoobero
wonder if they should be considering desalinization?

They should consider primary water sources. The core produces water and hydrocarbon chains, there are oceans of water in the crust and mantel of the earth, magnitudes more than our current oceans. All fresh primary water.

www.primarywaterinstitute.org...

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Rare Diamond Confirms That Earth's Mantle Holds an Ocean's Worth of Water
"It's actually the confirmation that there is a very, very large amount of water that's trapped in a really distinct layer in the deep Earth," said Graham Pearson, lead study author and a geochemist at the University of Alberta in Canada. The findings were published today (March 12) in the journal Nature.

www.scientificamerican.com... _medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+basic-science+%28Topic%3A+More+Science%29

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 08:09 PM
link   
That water is under hydrostatic pressure and it rises to the surface of the earth in springs and oasis. There are companies in Africa that are already drilling primary water wells, basically you just find the location of those primary water outlets and tap into them.

www.primarywaterinstitute.org...

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 10:30 AM
link   
good news, C-Town gets some rain

www.cnn.com...

South Africa's second-largest city and its surrounding areas received between 2 millimeters and 10 millimeters of rainfall Friday night, according to the Cape Town Weather Office. The city can expect 2 millimeters to 8 millimeters of rainfall Monday evening and into Tuesday morning -- less than an inch -- with no further rain expected later in the week.

Despite the paucity, the precipitation was a welcome sight for residents who haven't seen rain since January 22, and they collected water in buckets and tanks, with plans to use it for everything from washing clothes and dishes to flushing toilets.

But it is unlikely to make a significant impact on the city's largest reservoir, Theewaterskloof Dam, which satellite images show is at dangerously low levels.

every little bit helps
not sure when the rainy season hits

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 11:06 AM
link   
The issue of boreholes in Cape Town is becoming rather complicated.

Since 1998 water is regarded as a national, and not a private resource in SA.

That means the state can actually commandeer your groundwater.

While digging for a borehole doesn't require registration, as soon as water is found, it must be registered.hometimes.co.za...

And some in power have already said that if you have a borehole on your property you have to share it with the entire neighborhood.

I'm not sure that day-and-night harassment is worth R60 000 or more.
And it has already happened around some springs, and even shopping centers with bottled water.
Fights between people and harassment.

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Black_Fox

So why wasnt this all done waaaaaaay before this crisis?

Talk about serious mismanagement

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: SailorJerry
a reply to: Black_Fox

So why wasnt this all done waaaaaaay before this crisis?

Talk about serious mismanagement

Because th epeople in SA are trying to de whitify it and not thinking about the impact it was having on their infrastructure.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 04:46 AM
link   
I was going to do this today as I saw it in the paper. I had NO idea it was this bad. The problem with this site now is that if it doesnt involve the T man, then nobody reads it. Zero day has been pushed back to June now, but still, a Mad Max scenario could be real.

time.com...

These are other major cities who are right behind Cape Town,

247wallst.com...
www.ecowatch.com...

top topics

join