It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Skatting Tiger Rag 1931

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 09:50 PM
link   

The motion pictures were silent in the first two decades of the cinema because they did not know how to sync the video with the sound. It wasn't until the late late 20s and early 30s that ''talkies'' became reality. Here is an early tune from that era. Tiger Rag was a famous ''dixieland'' tune from 1917

edit on 31America/ChicagoMon, 29 Jan 2018 21:51:52 -0600Mon, 29 Jan 2018 21:51:52 -060018012018-01-29T21:51:52-06:00900000051 by TerryMcGuire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Thanks for posting these! The vocal quartet singing Tiger Rag- so corny!!!! So ridiculously corny you can't help but love it!

It's fascinating to hear recordings from that time. The band, was that a 1918 recording? Fun to hear how playing changes over time. Vibrato, for instance. Vibrato in that era- both classical and jazz musicians- was crazy fast. Fast nervous-sounding vibrato that no one today would be caught dead using. So much fun to hear!

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I love the music and early Fleisher cartoons from that era.
When WW3 goes down and I am using futuristic weapons in "hot" scenarios...this is the music that will be playing in my earbud.

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 10:58 PM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl

My parents were born in the early 20s and both were music fans, one from the East Coast and one from the West. I was raised on both jazz from the 30s and 40s as well as classical and gospel.
While I have not been able to keep my ''tastes'' open to all that has evolved over the decades I have learned to appreciate much of it.
As I hear varying modes of music blossom fro each generation, I have wondered at what appears to be an inability in each generation to truly 'get' the sweetness of past styles. Some do but mostly it seems to be a generational thing for most.

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Agreed! I've wondered the same thing. Some grad student somewhere should write a paper on that topic.

new topics

top topics

join