It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Earthquake Triggers China Mine Blast - 203 Killed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 10:03 PM
link   
At least 203 miners were killed in China´s worst coal mine accident since 1949. 13 miners are still trapped in the mine. A gas explosion occured about 242m (794 feet) underground just after a magnitude 6.0 earthquake shook the area.

www.rediff.com
At least 203 miners were killed, 22 injured and 13 still trapped in one of the worst coal mine gas explosions in China in Fuxin, a city in northeast China's Liaoning Province

The gas blast occurred at 1450 hours on Monday at the No 3316 working face of Sunjiawan colliery about 242 metres underground

One of the reasons citied for the growing coal mine accidents is the energy crunch faced by the fastest growing nation. This has prompted some mines to overwork at the expense of safety standards.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Last year more than 6000 died in mine accidents in China. This explosion was apparently set off by an earthquake. The earthquake struck about 10 minutes before the explosion. Extremely dangerous profession, but some got to do it...

Rescue operations began immediately after Monday's blast 242m (794 feet) underground at the Sunjiawan mine, just after an earthquake shook the area.

Related News Links:
abcnews.go.com
www.abs-cbnnews.com
www.canada.com
www.nytimes.com

USGS: Magnitude 6.0 SOUTHERN XINJIANG, CHINA
Monday, February 14, 2005 at 23:38:06 UTC

[edit on 2005/2/14 by Hellmutt]

[edit on 15-2-2005 by John bull 1]

[edit on 16-2-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 07:05 PM
link   
The Magnitude 6.0 quake was in another part of China, but...

From: The New York Times: China Mine Accident Kills More Than 200

the explosion happened about 10 minutes after an earthquake shook the mine, citing Zhang Yunfu, vice general manager of the Fuxin mine group.

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Excellent reporting Hellmutt!

There's not too much to say except to decry China's horrible record concerning workers' safety in mines and in other occupations. Western nations should demand that China reforms its workers' conditions otherwise face sanctions etc. Sadly, I doubt it will happen since we are becoming more and more dependent on cheap labor provided by their dictatorial regime.

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 09:39 PM
link   
China is where we were at at the turn of the century with it's industrial explosion and our fatalities from poor working conditions in railroading, mining and manufacturing make China's seem innocuous. Besides, the US has proven over and over again, that we really don't care about their human rights record, we'll do business with the devil if it helps the bottom line.

top topics

join