It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ideas on getting cat puke out of a radiator?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 12:06 PM
link   
The damn cat (yeah, the one in my avatar) puked in my built-in electric heating unit while it was on and although I took the cover off and tried to clean it out as best I could with q-tips and a tooth-brush (by far, one of the grossest things I have ever done), there is still baked cat vomit deep down in the tiny, aluminum foil-like crevices that the insides of this thing are made of.

Now *I* feel like I am going to puke because my whole apartment smells like baked, rancid, fishy vomit. The unit is now off and the windows are all open (and it is cold!!!!) I tried cleaning it out with Mr. Clean and then spraying it with a pet odor enzyme digester, but I'm afraid of getting it too wet because it is electric & hardwired to the power source.

I've tried covering up the smell with Lysol & scented candles--and now I am just sitting here practically in tears with Vicks under my nose, like those crime scene investigators, and I can still smell it. I don't think that the smell is going to go away until I can get to the rest of the vomit deep down in the center of the unit.

I think I am going to have to move. Happy friggin' Valentine's Day.

Anybody have any suggestions on how to clean this thing out or get rid of the smell?

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 12:11 PM
link   
lol not good,

Get some viniger and wash it with that.... it should come off,

For the smell just get some soap powder in some water and rinse the area
with a damp cloth lol...

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I suggest one of these. Did wonders for my cat. Of course, it will only stop FUTURE incidents.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by asala
lol not good,

Get some viniger and wash it with that.... it should come off,

For the smell just get some soap powder in some water and rinse the area
with a damp cloth lol...

Hmmm, I'm not sure how I can get deep into all of the tiny crevices--they seem to be about 10" deep and 1/8" wide. I am afraid to pour any kind of water mixture into the unit because it is electric.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Ah got you,

the smell should go away after a while lol.

umm all i can suggest then is get some good house spray one that gets rid of oders?

Good luck

[edit on 14-2-2005 by asala]

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
I suggest one of these. Did wonders for my cat. Of course, it will only stop FUTURE incidents.

Yeah, it a good thing that I didn't have a "Tabby tote" when I found out where that smell was coming from this morning... although I don't usually get mad at him for puking--but this is probably the worst possible place for it...

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 12:30 PM
link   
What about air pressure device thingy, no liquid so it shouldn't do any damage.
I'm not even sure if what i just said was helpful. :shk:

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Sucks for you dude!!! Try some incense.

I love cats and have had them all my life so all I can do is laugh.

Peace

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard
What about air pressure device thingy, no liquid so it shouldn't do any damage.
I'm not even sure if what i just said was helpful. :shk:

I'm not sure what you mean--but you gave me an idea. My vacuum is really strong. Perhaps I can use some pipe cleaners to get between each of the crevices to loosen the debris and then vacuum it up... I will need to put on a gas-mask first to get that close to it, of course, and it will take me hours as there are hundreds of crevices and my cat is a champion projectile-vomiter, but anything is better than having to move (or buying a new HVAC unit!)

Thanks!

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by lmgnyc
I'm not sure what you mean--

Same here

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hit N Run
Sucks for you dude!!! Try some incense.

I love cats and have had them all my life so all I can do is laugh.

Peace

I have always had cats too & from time to time, they really get into trouble, but this is probably the worst I've had to deal with--even worse than when my other cat escaped from his carrier in a taxi and ran over the drivers head & trashed the upholstery.

I am trying to laugh in between waves of nausea.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I have one of those steam cleaner thingy's. I bet one of those would clean that right out, without the danger of chemicals on a heating element.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Nothing says lovin' like freshly baked feline vomit rolls....

That stinks man...literally...

Can you unplug it? If so, I'd say it's safe to clean it with a liquid if you can, then allow time for it to air dry...

Maybe you can get some long skewers, attach a lysol cleaning pad or sponge to it and then fish around in there....

As for the smell....you can always pay some little kid to run around spraying the house down with a few bottles of air-freshner....$5-10 outta do the trick

Hmmm....What's that I smell cooking for dinner??!!

Good luck!

[edit on 2/14/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 02:31 PM
link   
The pipe cleaner thing wasn't happening--the little crevices actually extend down about two feet.

I called the super & apparently he has seen this kind of thing before. He removed the whole unit & took it down to the shop to steam clean it with a power washer. It takes a day or so to dry before they can reinstall it, so I have to freeze my buns off while it is gone... but anything is better than the smell of "baked feline vomit rolls"... ugh...what a nightmare. I feel like I need to take a long, hot shower just to get this smell out of my hair...

and as for you, kitty... hairball medicine!!

Thanks for your suggestions and keep your cats away from the radiator!!

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 03:04 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Aww, skippy, that looks like my cat. I don't want him DEAD... perhaps duct-taped like a mummy for a few hours, but not roadkill...

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Sorry about the likeness. I actually have 4 cats (and 2 dogs) and love every one of them. And yes, they puke. Bought some new "hairball" food for them last month. Threw that right out!!! 3 of them started puking non stop, they couldnt keep it down.. so I feel your pain.

Here are a couple of the monsters:

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Very cute! I just got home and found more puke on the couch--and this is after giving him the hairball stuff, so I think that there might be an issue here... or maybe this is his idea of giving mommy a Valentine's Day present.

Where did I put that duct tape....?

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Call some HVAC guys and ask if OVEN CLEANER spray would hurt the electric element. I don't know. Seems like same principle as cleaning an oven. If it's safe, spray it, then turn the heat up and leave for a while (with cat).

If it's safe.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Oven cleaner--good one! I wish that I would have thought of that before my super took the darn unit away--it is freezing in here tonight...

top topics

join