It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hard Truths

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Perhaps infants arrive bearing remnants of our past life in Eden and it is just this innocence and naivety that draws us to them. As the newborn babe sleeps, his dewy visage free of care, worry, guilt or fear, he enchants those who behold him with the notion that a world free of death, evil, suffering, and care does indeed exist-- even if only temporarily and in the minds of newly born human souls. How else, in an existence full of noise and necessities, could the image of a sleeping baby, so small and unassuming, give us pause and bring such peace?

One tragic aspect of parenting is witnessing the dawn of hard truths. Knowing that the bliss of ignorance is unsustainable, that it inevitably has to dissipate and make room for development is one thing, watching it happen is another.

We strolled into the museum, his small hand in mine, to meet with Auntie. There is so much fun to be had at the museum, many nooks and crannies to explore, along with certain exhibits gathering dust and fading faster than the more flashy and attractive dino bones, space exploration type showcases. We go often enough now that my son feels confident leading the way, pulling me this way and that until laughingly I insist he slow down and actually look at the treasures surrounding us.

But today something caught his eye that he hadn’t noticed before. He slowed, stopped and stared at the stuffed bobcat who held a twice-doomed stuffed deer by the throat. “What’s it doing, mom?” I explained that she was a momma cat and that she meant to feed herself and those two cubs waiting a short distance away. “That’s a BAD mom!” exclaimed my boy, his pitch rising with emotion (he gets quite shrill- like an old lady- when he’s truly upset). My aunt picked up the battle from there, explaining that we all have to eat and get our food from somewhere, where do you think the chicken comes from etc.. you know- those hard truths that we all swallowed long ago and rarely give time to consider anymore. He would not yield, nor would she, in their respective arguments but I was surprised when my son dropped it. (He is not one to let go of an argument).

A few minutes pass and then I hear him piping up to my aunt, in that shrill little tone: “Would YOU like it if someone ate YOU?” Taken slightly aback, my aunt answers in the negative, “No, of course not.” “Well then that is a BAD MOM!”

Of course, had we not been living in such a sterile environment, in which we pad ourselves with comforts and convenience, and in which our food arrives pre-packaged and resembling nothing like the living creature from whence it came, the fact that predators and prey exist would not shock so, but I couldn’t help but feel a pang.

And to be honest I was a little relieved that he refused that hard truth, at least on that day, and that he could still inhabit a world that does not consume itself as a matter of course, where the people surrounding you and looking out for you do indeed have your best interests at heart, where there is still magic and mystery around every corner. I know that world is fading fast but I have to say I am very glad that it exists, somewhere.

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

I remember when we were having a nice crab dinner, my older son said to my daughter, hey look it's Mr. Krab (from spongebob) My toddler was hysterical and refused to eat anymore. Fast forward ten years and she devoured more crab legs than anyone else at Christmas. What I'm saying is don't worry it's natural, a little sad, but natural.

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
What I'm saying is don't worry it's natural, a little sad, but natural.

Lol, I remember when it was me-- went to a restaurant that had a phone that sounded like a duck when it rang and my dad joked they were chasing a duck around the kitchen to make a dinner out of it.. I was inconsolable and very slow to forgive that one.

Thanks for reading

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist.
- George Carlin

That pretty well expresses an observation that I once made in There's an Old Saying that I Just Made Up: "Real cynics are those idealists who have suffered from disillusion."

Balance and care are called for.
My Granddaughter's favorite animal is the Cheetah. She has watched enough Wild Kratts to understand the mother's need to hunt food for her young. But also she has recently decided she doesn't like ham because it's butt.

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Hello my friend. You are a great story teller and should write more often!

Thanks for sharing and I hope you are enjoying the holidays!!

(I would like to add more but I am currently driving - don't drive and use the phone like me)

Quick ETA: I LoOoOve museums!!!
edit on 29-12-2017 by knowledgehunter0986 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: pthena

Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist.
- George Carlin

That pretty well expresses an observation that I once made in There's an Old Saying that I Just Made Up: "Real cynics are those idealists who have suffered from disillusion."

Balance and care are called for.

Thank you for this wisdom, and I understand that message very plainly.

(PS nice to "see" you!)

Also the cheetah is my son's favorite animal, but he clearly knows nothing of its nature-- yet

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986

Quick ETA: I LoOoOve museums!!!

Meee too!

Have a great weekend!

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Well written Zos.
Perhaps still being able to recognize that innocence, means it is still somehow within us as well.
-
More bliss please, and let us relax on the intellectual rigidity, that we might be more like these beautiful babies we so adore.

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nothin

Perhaps still being able to recognize that innocence, means it is still somehow within us as well.
-
More bliss please, and let us relax on the intellectual rigidity, that we might be more like these beautiful babies we so adore.

I really love what you wrote here. Thank you for the food for thought.

edit on 29-12-2017 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

top topics

join