It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York apartment fire: at least 12 people killed in Bronx

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Investigators in New York searched early on Friday for the cause of a blaze that ripped through an apartment building in the Bronx, killing 12 people including an infant, in the city’s deadliest fire in at least a quarter of a century.

New York apartment fire: at least 12 people killed in Bronx

RIP to all those who perished. This fire must've been a nightmare for the firefighters, because of the bone numbing cold.

The blaze erupted in the Belmont section of the Bronx, a primarily residential, close-knit neighbourhood known as the “Little Italy” of the borough, adjacent to the Bronx Zoo and Fordham University.

New York is going through a bitter cold snap with temperatures in the low-teens Fahrenheit and high winds, which according to one media account, stoked flames inside the building as residents flung open doors and windows.

Wherever fire hoses sprayed, the ground was covered with sheets of ice, according to an NY1 reporter. More than 160 firefighters worked in bone-chilling cold, just 15 degrees, to rescue people from the building as the fire quickly spread.

www.theguardian.com...

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 06:00 AM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

Let me make one guess here before I've even read the facts.

This buidling was in a low socio economic suburb and the residents have been giving warings of such an event for months. Am I right?

edit on 29-12-2017 by Azureblue because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 08:47 AM
link   
So...... where's the

2). The source/article MUST contain an obvious alternative or conspiracy angle. BAN is not for submitting general, political, or 'tabloid shock' news.
in this story?

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Azureblue

This buidling was in a low socio economic suburb and the residents have been giving warings of such an event for months. Am I right?

More like because of a gas leak in the basement from aging pipes. If the fire started lower in the building (like the basement) that could trap people in upper floors, resulting in more deaths.

But they aren't talking causes...

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 10:04 AM
link   
New York fire department have said the fire was started accidentally by a child playing with a stove.

An unattended three-year-old boy accidentally started the blaze, fire commissioner Daniel Nigro said.

As the child's mother fled, she left the door open, allowing the fire to enter the hallway, he added. The stairway had then "acted like a chimney" allowing the fire to spread rapidly upwards.
www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 12:35 AM
link   
The apartment where the fire started.. apparently the people in that apartment left the front door open when they fled. That in turn allowed the fire to spread more rapidly.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 02:12 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Sounds like low end accommodation but I appreciate the cold there may have had an impact on this.

In any event, committment to safety, if there is any, requires weekly and special (eg a sudden cold snap) requires regular (monthly, no more rarely) integrity inspections of pipework and fittings etc, The inspections must be reviewed by the buidling management/landlord and works orders issued to fix any issues and records of these things being done generated and saved somewhere.

I wonder what the building managment safety records look like? Are they working day and night to create them I wonder?

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 02:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
New York fire department have said the fire was started accidentally by a child playing with a stove.

An unattended three-year-old boy accidentally started the blaze, fire commissioner Daniel Nigro said.

As the child's mother fled, she left the door open, allowing the fire to enter the hallway, he added. The stairway had then "acted like a chimney" allowing the fire to spread rapidly upwards.
www.bbc.co.uk...

That could be true but it might also be the fire dept being leant on. In this day and age we cannot accept these claims on face value.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 03:40 AM
link   

I think given the details they released it's more likely they have information from those involved than them being leant on , it may have been the mother of the boy who raised the alarm after she left the building.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Probably not. Aging infrastructure and lack of maintenance has wreaked havoc in California, a house blew up near us from a leaky gas pipe, they replaced all the underground pipes in the entire complex (over four hundred units). Replacement of aging gas pipelines throughout the state is ongoing.

San Bruno gas pipeline explosion wreaked havoc, so did the recent northern california fires brought about by low maintenance on power transmission lines. New York has its own problems as well the rest of the nation with aging infrastructure. Thats my fist guess now whenever I hear of these types of 'raging ripping roaring' multiple fatality infernos.

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 02:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Probably not. Aging infrastructure and lack of maintenance has wreaked havoc in California, a house blew up near us from a leaky gas pipe, they replaced all the underground pipes in the entire complex (over four hundred units). Replacement of aging gas pipelines throughout the state is ongoing.

San Bruno gas pipeline explosion wreaked havoc, so did the recent northern california fires brought about by low maintenance on power transmission lines. New York has its own problems as well the rest of the nation with aging infrastructure. Thats my fist guess now whenever I hear of these types of 'raging ripping roaring' multiple fatality infernos.

Thank you for your perspective, I will not disagree that aging infrastucture in the US is a likely cause of many similar events now and in the future. It s not something I had considered to tell the truth. Its also that my time on this and other sites I have learned that human life, in many places but particuarly the US is dependant on how much mony one has, or how much power one has to 'lean' on somedody to make trouble for others or to make their own troubles go away.

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 03:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

I think given the details they released it's more likely they have information from those involved than them being leant on , it may have been the mother of the boy who raised the alarm after she left the building.

well; yes that is true but sadly one just cannot be as certain as one could have been a few decades ago.

top topics

join