It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whew!!!...REALLY Close Call!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Yesterday, the wife and I are working outside doing things around the ranch. I had a big 'smoke' of some pork loins going on in one smoker and about 4 dozen peppers in another (plus a big pot of 16 bean soup and smoked ham shanks going in a dutch oven inside). The wife tended to the cattle earlier, then we both went out and broke ice in the stock tanks. Then our efforts focused on cleaning up a couple areas, which involved burning some brush and miscellaneous wood scraps (pallets, etc.). We loaded up a trailer load of stuff for the dump (mostly scrap pallets not suitable for burning). Got a lot of stuff done, we were busy, busy.

As the afternoon waned it was time to go inside and enjoy the smell of the beans as they finished cooking. For about the past hour prior to that we had each been doing separate tasks, I was cleaning corrals with the skid steer and the wife was keeping an eye on the burns (which you have to do by law here). When we came inside to get cleaned up I just casually asked my bride..."So, how's it going?" She had this kind of perplexed look on her face and said.."Well, it's going okay...IF I could find my wedding band..."

WAIT...WHAT ?????? (the entire world screeches to a halt in my mind!) "I beg your pardon? I don't think I heard you right, did you say your wedding band is missing????"

"I could swear I saw it on my finger just a little bit ago, but now it's gone. I'm sure it's around here somewhere"

Now, a bit of a backstory here; two years ago we got her the ring of her dreams for our 20th anniversary, and this ring never leaves her finger! (nor does mine). We had the ring custom made just so it would be low profile and not catch on things (her idea)...and now this ring has suddenly gone missing! A fortune...missing!

We checked all the easy things first...nothing. Then we started the uglier tasks of dumping out rubbish bags of burned (now soaking wet) debris and sifting through it, just praying we'd find it. This was the easy part! Nothing. With a sigh, I looked around with a feeling of pure dread...it could be anywhere on this 2,150 acres. We'd been in corrals, handling stock, moving hay piles, riding four wheelers, tractors, multiple vehicles...it could be any of those places. My Gawd!!

We looked everywhere. Nothing. I eventually broke out the metal detector and started sweeping a rough grid pattern I'd laid out. Well after dark, and about zero outside, I'd found about every other metal thing on the property, but not the ring. After dinner, I went out again with a very bright light hoping I might be able to spot a flash of light of the reflection in the diamonds, but it was snowing now, and the fog had visibility down to about 60 feet. Before taking my freezing ass back in the house I laid out a detailed grid to start with at daybreak. I'd dig up every square inch of property if I had to!

My poor bride went to bed heartbroken. Neither of us slept very well either, thinking about the likelihood of what amounted to finding a needle in a haystack...almost literally.

About 3am this morning I'm stunned awake by something grabbing both my ankles, HARD!, in the bed (in my sleep state I think I'm being eaten by JAWS)..."huhh..whaaaa?

"I FOUND IT!!!.... I FOUND IT!! I FOUND MY RING!!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT, I FOUND IT!!

I shot up out of bed like a lightning bolt! I was so happy for her (for both of us)!

So where did she find it?

Well, earlier in the day, while cleaning out our office inside the house, she'd come across a box which had some costume jewelry in it at the bottom which she loved, but had forgotten about. Among the jewelry were several rings. So she picked out the costume jewelry with the intention of putting away in one of her jewelry boxes. She stuck the rings on several fingers just to transport them while she carried the rest of the stuff in her hands. Somehow, when she put all the stuff in her jewelry boxes she slid her wedding band off when she took the other rings off her fingers. She'd remembered this as she laid there awake, and went to look just as a silly little lark (knowing it surely wouldn't be there). Sure enough, there it was!

Unbelievable! Fantastic, but unbelievable!! My Sunday chore list just went from frustrated to the point of futility to "WOO HOOOOO!!"

Thus the story of the lost ring, and one REALLY close call!

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

wow that is a great story glad there was a happy ending for you and your wife...finding the ring is the best christmas present you could get!

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 01:01 PM
link   

We had a diamond that had a suspect mount that I mentioned a number of times to have looked at and fixed. I was not and a diamond was lost.

I was replaced but lesson was learned by all.

Very nice that you did not have to buy a medal detector and start with the quest for the ring on your property.

edit on 17-12-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 01:32 PM
link   

What a heart stopper! So glad she found it! But I wish she had recorded waking you in such a manner, lol.

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I'm glad you found it.

My husband lost his years ago, and I stopped wearing mine in solidarity although that has more to do with having stuck my hand in a ceiling fan and the knuckle never healed quite right to it wouldn't fit.

We are now both ringless. I suppose we could get some rings again since he no longer works in a lab and has to take his on and off daily -- too easy to lose it.

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Martin75

She got lucky I didn't come up swingin'!

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Well, I got through the first paragraph and had to go to the fridge.
Made a toasted meatloaf sandwich, with left over roasted Brussel sprouts and baby potatoes.

Gonna continue reading now.

Finished eating ...and reading.
Thank crap it was found! Or Xmas might had gotten 20k more expensive!

Do you have insurance on the ring?
edit on 17-12-2017 by Macenroe82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   
2150 acres? Almost four square miles? Needle in a haystack? Umm, yeah!

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Makes for all sorts of 'fun' trying to cover it all during calving season (coming up here in Mar/Apr).

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I hate when I do things like that, I try to retrace my steps through the day to find something I misplaced once in a while.

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 06:02 PM
link   

pork loins going on in one smoker and about 4 dozen peppers in another (plus a big pot of 16 bean soup and smoked ham shanks going in a dutch oven inside

But what happened to that treasure? Was it ok? For a second I thought you were going to say it burned or got ruined.

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

Pork loins came out fantastic! Canadian Bacon, both of them. Cured to perfection after 14 days, then smoked for about 14 hours over alder wood.

Best Canadian Bacon you'll ever eat! Done Canadian style...sliced, and then peppered with some pea meal and fried up.

Fantastic!!! (and I'm not Canadian, but I know good when I try it!!)

edit...the peppers came out fantastic too! I did them in a different smoker. The habaneros came out wonderful, smoky habanero flaver. The Serrannos came out great with bite and heat. The Jalepenos came out awesome as you might expect, smoky and delicious...though they did take longer to get done. I also did some colored bell peppers for the wife (she doesn't like it hot like i do). They came out delicious too, and she's eating them faster than I can preserve them!

edit on 12/17/2017 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

edit on 12/17/2017 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman

pork loins going on in one smoker and about 4 dozen peppers in another (plus a big pot of 16 bean soup and smoked ham shanks going in a dutch oven inside

But what happened to that treasure? Was it ok? For a second I thought you were going to say it burned or got ruined.

Yea, when he mentioned the foods I thought for sure the story was heading that direction and got sad. Real sad.

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Tell the Mrs to wear it on a chain round her neck in future when she is working and quiz her about Dementia

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Oh, what a day!! I can well imagine the panic and frustration of having misplaced the ring! To find it, in such a location, great, of course, but also frustrating to think all you went through to look in other places!! Glad it turned up!! Close call, indeed!

I'd bet she checks her finger a hundred times a day for a good long while! I know I would.
edit on 17-12-2017 by LadyGreenEyes because: typo

top topics

join