It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It makes me so proud

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Regimental rivalries and brawls go hand in hand, and I have had ocassion to attempt to separate warring factions in the past, but to be fair those involved were generally intoxicated and armed only with fists and foul language.

I did once even have deal with some afters of the Trafalgar Cup match, but attempting to separate members of these two Regiments going at each other with spare barrels, clubs and whatever else comes to hand is something that I hope I never have to get involved in.
www.thesun.co.uk...

edit on 7-12-2017 by CulturalResilience because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 05:42 PM
link   
they not too bright taking on gurkas , those little guys damn tough .

Also wouldnt step in on that one .

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: VengefulGhost
they not too bright taking on gurkas , those little guys damn tough .

Also wouldnt step in on that one .

I'm just glad they are both on our side, apparently.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: CulturalResilience

I have known the odd para, every single one of them a nutter.

I have a Kukri on my wall that my Grandad brought back from Burma and he always rated Gurkhas.

My father in law once told me of a training exercise where the Gurkhas were the opfor.
In the night, they snuck into the company base and drew red dots on every man's face. Then they withdrew without being discovered.

The regiment? 22

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

It's two very different fighting ethos coming together in this one that makes it interesting. 22, the world's largest regiment. Everyone in uniform is in it, or used to be.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: CulturalResilience

It's two very different fighting ethos coming together in this one that makes it interesting. 22, the world's largest regiment. Everyone in uniform is in it, or used to be.

haha Yeah, though you can spot a Walt from a mile off. Especially if you grow up in Hereford like I did. It sometimes seemed as though half the kids at my school were army brats.

Anyway, I thought that Gurkhas had been absorbed into the paras some time ago or was it just they made them Airborne div?
edit on 54pThu, 07 Dec 2017 17:51:54 -060020172017-12-07T17:51:54-06:00kAmerica/Chicago31000000k by SprocketUK because: addendum

CX

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: CulturalResilience

As an ex MP myself, first posting Sennelager, Germany....I spent many a night sortimg smaller versions of this out, however in my years of service, I never once had to deal with a ghurka. Always polite and well behaved.

Personally I could never understand the inter-unit fighting. Rivalry, yes...proud of your unit and reputation..certainly....it can be a healthy thing.

However fighting fellow servicemen from your own side....pretty sad. I've seen idiots fighting over a beer who have ended up so badly injured that it's finished a promising career.

At least this was on an exercise and not in town like I've seen before. That does nothing for the army's public image.

CX.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: CX

Yeah I'm surprised to hear about this from the Gurkhas. The Paras must have done a real number on winding them up to the degree where they kick off.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 06:39 PM
link   

1RGR is part of 16 Air Assualt Brigade. There are Walters and Bloaters everywhere you go. Naming no names a certain, recently formed branch of the military seems to be a magnet to them.

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Lol you have to laugh! In my time going into town for a ruck was the highlight of the week. That's why the RMP patrol garrison towns in the evenings because it kicks off every week. We shared a barracks once with the Scots Guards and we were always at each other. Even had company rivalry especially if full of beer and wandered into one of there watering holes. A few of us were at the parade in Manchester on Remembrance Sunday last month same again regimental rivalry a few near misses and we're all old codgers now lol, good times.
edit on 9-12-2017 by redchad because: Spelling

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Garrison Towns. Not too many of those left. Happy days.
a reply to: redchad

edit on 9-12-2017 by CulturalResilience because: (no reason given)

top topics

join