It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are conservatives actually against net neutrality?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 10:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Truthturtlehead

originally posted by: xuenchen
There must be some clear examples of ISP abuse before the current regulations took effect right?

I know the "throttling" thing was an issue.

you can see by viewing past policy proposals that got shut down. All them designed to increase revenue and make the internet exclusive and more profitable for the ISPs. Can you site a few benefits you would get from this proposal?

I have yet to hear one single example of what you get out of this.

Examples need comparisons.

I asked for comparisons already and have not seen any answers.

Again, what was going on before the current regulations were in effect?

I know the throttling was a problem for small websites paying more for a faster pipe.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I've thought about it a lot and see pros from both sides.

Yeah, neutrality would make all traffic equal and probably slow with starts and stops to buffer information. There is no incentive for corporations to do anything to make it better because for a lot of folks there is no other service other than a reseller of the local telco.

On the other hand, for a few dollars more you get somewhat guaranteed speed and data flow with very few starts and stops to buffer information. It truly becomes tiered service. There will still be a problem for a lot of folks again because there is no other service other than a reseller of the local telco. There is more market pressure to build out infrastructure so folks can access their favorite sites. And you pay fairly for what you consume.

But then again, when they broke up Ma Bell it was a mess for a while. Before we had a single point of contact and repair, now is it the carrier, the wires, the switch, phones or configuration; and you need a separate technician for each but they don't usually talk to each other. I still remember the stupid interface you needed to connect a foreign switch to Ma Bell. And everyone argues where the demark really is. Throw in a few dozens suppliers of service and equipment to make it more interesting.

I sometimes think monopolies are good for somethings. Why do you need a bunch of electric companies selling you the same electricity with just a different meter for a few pennies difference?

Well, maybe a well regulated monopoly with codified infrastructure targets and limits on share holder returns.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Net Neutrality is being discussed here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Bramble Iceshimmer

It always makes me nervous when the government is involved.

Especially with outlets concerning free expression.

Corporations motivation is money.

Government motivation is control .

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join