It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quit Blocking Me!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2017 @ 03:32 AM
link   

(not you who are reading this, the other you's that I'm ranting about)

Quit Blocking me!

Ok. I understand websites need to make money. But why do they feel the need to block content because you have an ad blocker on? This makes no sense to me as the content they have usually is no different and can be found anywhere on the web. Which means, if you block me from viewing your page...I will go somewhere else. You've pretty much lost a regular visitor.

I've white listed a few sites after I've visited them for a bit and decided I like their content. I mean, what's' with the mob style strong arm tactics? I guess these websites prefer a lot of one time, I'm never going to visit your page again because you piss me off with your full page, block the content, telling me I got to white list you in order to see information that I can find pretty much on any other website on the internet people. Because that's what I do and I'm sure I'm not alone.

How do they think that this is going to generate them viewers? It is a lot easier to just hit the back button and click on the next link instead of going through the white listing process (at least for me). Do these websites not realize this? That they are actually losing income by doing this? Because, as I said, if I like the website and actually start to go there often enough, I'll white list it eventually.

But if I go to that website straight way and find that I can't read the content, and I get a full page "we see you have ad blocker on, please disable it" message, I'm pretty much never going back. Maybe block videos or pics or something instead if you want people to white list you after a certain amount of time. I can see that, but not the whole content of the site. If you believe in your website, if you believe in what you have to offer and that people will want to come back based upon that, why would you not allow them to view it?

Makes zero sense to me.

and yes, this is another 3 a.m., why the hell am I up post. Sorry for the swear words and the rant...

Blend57

posted on Nov, 2 2017 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Cos they want ya to be a good consumer and buy lots of # ya dont need and wont use more than once .

posted on Nov, 2 2017 @ 03:58 AM
link   
a reply to: blend57

A lot of times, you can get around this by turning off _javascript for that specific page or website.

posted on Nov, 2 2017 @ 04:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

A lot of times, you can get around this by turning off _javascript for that specific page or website.

Yeah, but I wouldn't bother. Seriously, I don't care to visit a website that won't allow you to view content at all without turning off Ad Blocker. Disabling pics, videos, and stuff I can understand..the entire website..nope. I haven't come across a website yet that had exclusive information. I'll just go to another one.

This morning I came across quite a few of the full page content blocking sites in my searches..thus the rant. But I really don't understand how they increase their overall traffic to a website by doing that... as many first time viewers are going to leave instantly and never return (I would hope) if they can't even view the content/articles from the site.

Thanks for the tip and comment,
blend

edit on 2-11-2017 by blend57 because: Always an edit : /

posted on Nov, 2 2017 @ 04:12 AM
link   
It used to be that ads on websites had to be clicked in order for the site to make any money from it.

But now all they have to do is for the ad to 'be seen' on the site page for the revenues instantly to be generated... and since ad blockers stop the ad from showing up at all, the website owners make no money from your drive-by surfing.

Passive income being made just from somebody surfing the internet and casually checking out a website to see if it might be interesting to them. Pfft.

Drive-by website surfing is, apparently, the new black for making money from nothing.

As far as I'm concerned, nobody should be making a single dime from me unless I bloody well want them to. If it's a site that interests me after I've looked through it all, then (and only then) do I even consider turning off the ad blocker.

Otherwise, they can kiss my ad blocking glow-in-the-dark white arse.

posted on Nov, 2 2017 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Have you tried 'logging in' ?

posted on Nov, 2 2017 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Though I hate to be "that guy", most content creators use Ads to keep their site / product afloat, so blocking Ads can be seen as stealing in their eyes. So they stop you seeing what they had created until you stop being cheap!

That being said, I use adblockers and whitelist as well. So I feel your pain but understand theirs

posted on Nov, 2 2017 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Quit Blocking Me!

There're not blockin' ya... There're Jammin' ya...

posted on Nov, 2 2017 @ 05:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Have you tried 'logging in' ?

There are some that you can still click off to the side of and view content. But once I see that full page notification, I normally just move on. Won't join or look further into the site. It is literally one of the biggest pet peeves of mine.

originally posted by: CranialSponge
As far as I'm concerned, nobody should be making a single dime from me unless I bloody well want them to. If it's a site that interests me after I've looked through it all, then (and only then) do I even consider turning off the ad blocker.

Otherwise, they can kiss my ad blocking glow-in-the-dark white arse.

Yeah, I agree, I'm not gonna disable ad blocker for something I haven't had the chance to look through either. And if you expect me to go any farther on your website after you just tried to force me to turn it off..I don't think so scooter. I'll pass and go find another website that actually let's me make the choice on my own.

I would hope most people would do the same. But then I have to wonder, there has to be a reason that these sites do it. So, are a lot of people just saying "ok" and turning it off before even seeing what the super secret content is?

originally posted by: thekaboose
Though I hate to be "that guy", most content creators use Ads to keep their site / product afloat, so blocking Ads can be seen as stealing in their eyes. So they stop you seeing what they had created until you stop being cheap!

That being said, I use adblockers and whitelist as well. So I feel your pain but understand theirs

I'm not being cheap. I like choices is all. When you try to take my choice away through blocking your content, well, as I said, I'll just find somewhere else to get the info from. I mean, I will turn off my ad blocker for websites I choose to support (like ATS)..but not for some random site I haven't even had the opportunity to view yet.

Thanks for the comments and thoughts!

blend
edit on 2-11-2017 by blend57 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2017 @ 05:12 AM
link   

You ever think that just by going there that you have given them a hit on their site and they may not care beyond that point once gaining that hit?

posted on Nov, 2 2017 @ 05:17 AM
link   
a reply to: AttitudeProblem

There're not blockin' ya... There're Jammin' ya...

They're not jamming or blocking, they are monitoring.

If you turn off adblocker sites can use cookies and cache on your computer to 'monitor' internet activity.
edit on 2-11-2017 by intrptr because: bb code

posted on Nov, 2 2017 @ 05:30 AM
link   

a reply to: intrptr

They're not jamming or blocking, they are monitoring your internet activity..

Can't be, they said they loved me..

posted on Nov, 2 2017 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Why wouldn't you bother? I have an add-on that let's me do that with a simple click. I can turn it off for specific tabs I have open or for my browser in general.

I whitelist the sites that I like. But if their ads are too intrusive (like autoplaying video ads, multiple pop-ups, etc), I just click off their _javascript functionality and that problem goes away too. This add-on can also disable all images if need be.

posted on Nov, 2 2017 @ 05:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: AttitudeProblem

a reply to: intrptr

They're not jamming or blocking, they are monitoring your internet activity..

Can't be, they said they loved me..

Advertisers do love your... (money).

posted on Nov, 2 2017 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Corporate America doesn't like government regulations. Since government regulations has become a bad word in politics, consumers "who pay to receive internet service," have to put-up with all the aggravating and intrusive ads being bombarded on the web. Who cares what the consumer wants anymore?? Our government representatives sure don't. We pay for the service to use the internet, not to be bombarded with advertising coming into the privacy of our homes.

Advertisers have to pay to advertise on these websites. They also have to pay a fee to advertise in a business, or on satellite and cable TV. Can you imagine what would happen if you set up a table in Walmart to advertise for your personal business without approval or paying an advertising fee? You would be kicked out or arrested for trespassing!

SO WHY are consumers forced to accept advertising for a service they are paying for?? I'm sure many would decline if they had a choice. It's like businesses are parading numerous billboards in the privacy of our homes. I remember when we only had 2 minutes of commercials to deal with. Now we have 5 minutes! Shouldn't corporate America have to pay consumers a monthly fee to advertise in the privacy of their homes, or give consumer the right to accept it or decline it?

Some government regulations are beneficial. The problem is, once regulations are removed, corporate America takes complete advantage of it and in the end the consumer is the loser.

edit on 2-11-2017 by WeRpeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2017 @ 06:10 AM
link   

a reply to: WeRpeons

The problem is, in the end the consumer is the loser.

Well maybe we'll get lucky...

posted on Nov, 2 2017 @ 09:48 AM
link   

if you block me from viewing your page...I will go somewhere else. You've pretty much lost a regular visitor.

Exactly how I feel, and act.

If you require me to either register or turn off adblocker to simply read an article, you can GFY.

I'll find the content elsewhere.

WAPO is weird, though. If I click a link through Twitter I usually get the message for either registering or white-listing; if I Google the article title and click through Google, I can usually access the article. BI sometimes requires a white-list, but not often.

posted on Nov, 2 2017 @ 11:28 AM
link   

I run to add blockers on my PC. Really need to get one for my phone. I get a Walmart and an amazon add from ATS that only pops up on ATS and hijacks Mt browser. I'm hoping a add blocker will fix it. I never see it on my PC with abp running

posted on Nov, 2 2017 @ 11:18 PM
link   
So I pay an ISP so that websites can waste my bandwith showing me ads?

I'm paying for the data those ads are using.

In the future I'd like to be paid to surf the web, instead of the other way around. Sure, show me ads...but don't charge me for internet access. You want to push products at me? You want to treat me like a valued advertising commodity? Compete for my attention then. Offer me higher speed internet access with ads. Unlimited data caps with ads.

I can put up with/ignore ads if I feel like I'm getting something from it. This is why FM radio is OK. I get to hear music I enjoy for free, so I don't mind commercial breaks. I can always turn the volume down anyway.

With the internet I'm forced to be subjected to invasive ads that I'm basically paying out of my pocket to see.

That, to me, is wrong.

top topics

join