It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Humanism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Appreciating humanity and respecting the long journey we've taken from microbe to human being. Paying homage to the creation rather than an idealistic creator. Nurturing every other life form.. [especially eachother] that came from that same microbe.. and nurturing the planet that gave us and continues to give us that life.

What is wrong with this concept? Why is religion considered such a high priority yet the planet we actually depend upon for life is treated as expendable?
Why is religion considered more important than human beings?

[edit on 10-2-2005 by riley]

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Because humans, for one reason or another have a huge inferiority complex. This is in general. I don't know why. It is as if, they cannot accept the fact that we can't know everything. So they make up an outrageous story to make up for the unknown knowledge.

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 06:34 AM
link   
the unit that our class is currently studying for religious education at school is talking about something similar to this.
apparently for most of us, religion is apart of our *social identity* aswell as being *social identity* for our nations/communities and has abit to do with tradition... that might be one factor of why its *high priopity*, i dunno.
i definately do agree with your opening paragraph

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Because most humans have not progressed to the point where they can see that it is belief in the God/dess creator, being a good person, and following the Golden Rule is what is important and that religion is not.....religion is created by man, not god.

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seapeople
Because humans, for one reason or another have a huge inferiority complex. This is in general. I don't know why. It is as if, they cannot accept the fact that we can't know everything. So they make up an outrageous story to make up for the unknown knowledge.

I agree with this.. [shocker] but it's almost as if it is the actual knowledge that is the threat.. people WANT judgment day and the more we know.. the smaller 'He' becomes and the less chance we have of being 'rescued' by absent dad.
I'm starting to think it is perhaps fear of becoming a spiritual 'orphan' in some sense.. ceasing to be special to something 'greater' than ourselves.

[edit on 11-2-2005 by riley]

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by cheeser
apparently for most of us, religion is apart of our *social identity* aswell as being *social identity* for our nations/communities and has abit to do with tradition... that might be one factor of why its *high priopity*, i dunno.
i definately do agree with your opening paragraph

Interesting.. I know they've discovered the brain is designed to be 'spiritual' [some sort of gland]- and I understand the need to 'belong' [we are social animals
] but Ive been trying to figure out why the creation has always nearly destroyed itself for the creator- we've always been on the razors edge.

Lady V,

Because most humans have not progressed to the point where they can see that it is belief in the God/dess creator, being a good person, and following the Golden Rule is what is important and that religion is not.....religion is created by man, not god.

I think the relgion takes a front seat to personal sprituality because it offers power.. strength in numbers.
I suspect if humanity had of stuck to more earth beliefs systems.. industry would have evolved taking it's impact of our enviroment into account.. Judeo-christian beliefs are so centred around man and a 'bond' with god that we have become a species completely estranged from what really provides for us.. this is why we have the hole in the ozone layer etc. Some thank god for food.. and repay it by going to church. The way I 'repay' the debt/'keep the balance' is catching public transport when I can so I am not contributing to pollution.. and I finnally got around to having a vegie garden. I realise it doesn't make much difference in a worldy sense though. What is frustrating is people eagerly waiting for the world to end.. and they think it'd be gods decision. Fact is- is if anything [aside from plagues, violence and a rock hitting us] is going to end human life it will be the planet that we are destroying.. not 'sinning' would never protect us.

[edit on 11-2-2005 by riley]

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 12:03 PM
link   

What is frustrating is people eagerly waiting for the world to end.. and they think it'd be gods decision. Fact is- is if anything [aside from plagues, violence and a rock hitting us] is going to end human life it will be the planet that we are destroying.. not 'sinning' would never protect us.

Words of wisdom riley!
If only a small % of people put this "world is coming to an end" so lets run to the local church to wash away our sins attitude, the world would be a better place. Hey why dont we try to decrease pollution, decrease the birth rate, stop producing 15 thousand babies cuz killing is a sin, then maybe we'd be less of a burden on this earth. No, ban stem cell research cuz it just might give us miracles that god doesnt want us to have. Rarrrrrr

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV

That was very well written. I don't necessarily believe in a god. But I do not rule it out. What it is that I know for sure, is that religions are man made extentions of personal interpretation. Personal interpretations are not always my interpretations, so I can't just fall into suit. None should allow themselves to do this either. It is an open invite for stupidity.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by I_s_i_s
Words of wisdom riley!

Thankyou.

If only a small % of people put this "world is coming to an end" so lets run to the local church to wash away our sins attitude, the world would be a better place.

Agreed.. it's the height of laziness for people to go through a ritual to remove sins than to actually change the way they live.

Hey why dont we try to decrease pollution,

But god creates the air! :shk: and some people would rather trivialise their imapact on the enviroment than try minumalise it and actually not drive their car everywhere.

decrease the birth rate, stop producing 15 thousand babies cuz killing is a sin, then maybe we'd be less of a burden on this earth.

But you're still not allowed to use contraceptives and actually prevent pregnancies..

No, ban stem cell research cuz it just might give us miracles that god doesnt want us to have. Rarrrrrr

In the meantime the air we breath causes illnesses that could actually be cured with the findings of such research.. but if we were to fix the air itself that might possibly prevent a natural judgement day which could be put to good use by being blamed on god which could reaffirm faith.

[edit on 14-2-2005 by riley]

new topics

top topics

join