It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Finnish Defence Forces released more than 160.000 war time photos from 1939 to 1945

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Here's a cool article that has some old photos from WW2 Finland.

Finland was attacked by the Soviets and got weapons from Germany.

Lot's of possible conspiracies about Finland in WW2.

Many countries were between rocks and hard places during that time.

The pictures are pretty neat for history buffs.

Some pictures...
The Finnish Defence Forces released more than 160.000 war time photos from 1939 to 1945

and,
Military history of Finland during World War II

Finland participated in three major conflicts during World War II, all related to ongoing hostilities between Finland and the expansionist Soviet Union. As the Soviet Union changed allegiances from supporting Nazi Germany to battling the Nazis, this placed the Finns in the unusual situation of being for, then against, then for, the overall interests of the Allied powers.
The first two major conflicts were the defensive Winter War against an invasion by the Soviet Union in 1939–1940, followed by the Continuation War, alongside the Axis Powers against the Soviets, in 1941–1944. The third conflict, the Lapland War in 1944–1945, followed the signing of an armistice agreement with the Allied Powers, which stipulated expulsion of Nazi German forces from Finnish territory.
By the end of hostilities, Finland managed to defend its independence, but had to cede nearly 10% of its territory, including its second largest city, Viipuri, and pay out a large amount of war reparations to the Soviet Union. As a result of this territorial loss, all Finnish Karelians were evacuated from their homes, relocating to areas that remained within the borders of Finland.

edit on Sep-04-2017 by xuenchen because: aktuung

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Fantastic Photos. I like the last one the best. You would never ever tell that was a bicycle. Not in a million years. Very clever.

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Did I just star & flag one of your posts?! I most certainly did!

Good work. I can't wait to look at these!

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 08:05 PM
link   
No disrespect intended to your thread but 70 years plus after the fact, does it really matter to anyone living today? I would guess not. A pointless extension of war and rhetoric, but only the one they want us to remember, in contrast to the wars being continually waged around the world today

I say # them, but then again I feel misguided and deluded. Apparently.

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: LightSpeedDriver
No disrespect intended to your thread but 70 years plus after the fact, does it really matter to anyone living today? I would guess not. A pointless extension of war and rhetoric, but only the one they want us to remember, in contrast to the wars being continually waged around the world today

I say # them, but then again I feel misguided and deluded. Apparently.

Sourpuss.

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: LightSpeedDriver

Some wars are just for the sake of what many of us deem as true humanity. Others are caused by those that want nothing more than dominance. Knowing the difference in why wars of prior times were waged is an edge toward understanding them and preventing other wars. To ignore the past is to relive it.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 09:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun
To ignore the past is to relive it.

And yet we (a mainly US-led coalition) are conducting multiple operations at once. I am a Brit in Holland. Both countries are "allies". Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, Syria...Iran seems to be a target too. The cognitive dissonance being projected these days is just mind-blowing (not a personal attack btw!). We must never forget, but the bombing of innocents continues. It makes me sad, angry and frustrated.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 10:24 AM
link   
originally posted by: LightSpeedDriver

No disrespect intended to your thread but 70 years plus after the fact, does it really matter to anyone living today?

As someone who has recently done the DNA test for ancestry/ethnicity and found out that I have some Finnish ancestry (Scandinavian and Lapp/Sami) these pictures are absolutely awesome for me. Although I have never been there, the pictures made it feel like they brought me to a different place and time and it was fun to experience it.

That first guy on the slippery ice with a reindeer could be a pint sized version of my uncle. A couple of the kids even looked like me when I was a kid.

I am a history buff and this thread is GOLD!

edit on 5-9-2017 by WhereAmEYE because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:51 PM
link   
What DNA test did you buy?? My Genealogist only says I'm descended from Vikings, and several hits are from Finland ! a reply to: WhereAmEYE

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: carpooler

First I must ask do you mean Finnish Ethnicity or Lapp/Sami?

Most Finnish would fall under Scandinavian which would probably be derived from the Vikings.

My original post was in refrence to the Lapp/Sami people who are actually for the most part separated from the Vikings DNA wise and not many of them have Nordic features due to allegedly being isolated from other population pools for a very long while.

Originally I did ancestry dot ... but used other resources to further look into the results. I have a fair bit of Lapp/Sami and Finnish...but I have a whole lot of stuff that I never imagined.

I am no expert and have had a couple brew so I will return later and hopefully be able to clarify a bit more if you have any questions. Even though many people claim the DNA tests are not very conclusive/accurate and for the most part the tell us what we already know,but there are many resources to have them further looked into despite the vague results ancestry might give you so I urge anyone to get them done. Some places even tell you how much neanderthal you have in you, some people are worried about having thei DNA accessed digitally but the people who would use it against me already have it lol, or they can easily fake it anyways.

edit on 8-9-2017 by WhereAmEYE because: (no reason given)

join