It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Recording of Confederate (General) Julius Howell gives his fist person account of the Civil War.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: tucoandblondie

A) how was slavery on its way out when their entire society and culture was based around it???

Globally, yes, but in the slave states?!!!!

That is 100% hypothetical....

They had made no move to even limit slavery , except maybe outlawing imported slaves..but that convienently was more profitable for those breeding slaves here...

Any speculation about the south ending slavery voluntarily is based on the fact the rest of the world was, but arpartide in South Africa lasted till the 70's. so I don t buy it.. no one can point to any policy the slave states implemented as evidence.

B) there is no constitutional right to secede... as far as I know there is no there is no historical precedent either..

It's only based on the thought that the constitution doesn't say you can't sucede.. not that there is an amendment providing a legal justification.

No nation could survive big chunks of its land mass comming and going every other generation or so..

I personally guess that those who signed the articles of confederation knew there was no backing out, but stil paid lip service to any detractors when they returned home later. Pretending "oh relax..we could leave whenever we want..."

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 08:56 AM
link   

And old soldiers befriending each other is as old as warfare I think...

Scipio and hannible all the way to WW2 vets from both sides.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 12:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

A) how was slavery on its way out when their entire society and culture was based around it???

Globally, yes, but in the slave states?!!!!

That is 100% hypothetical....

They had made no move to even limit slavery , except maybe outlawing imported slaves..but that convienently was more profitable for those breeding slaves here...

Any speculation about the south ending slavery voluntarily is based on the fact the rest of the world was, but arpartide in South Africa lasted till the 70's. so I don t buy it.. no one can point to any policy the slave states implemented as evidence.

B) there is no constitutional right to secede... as far as I know there is no there is no historical precedent either..

It's only based on the thought that the constitution doesn't say you can't sucede.. not that there is an amendment providing a legal justification.

No nation could survive big chunks of its land mass comming and going every other generation or so..

I personally guess that those who signed the articles of confederation knew there was no backing out, but stil paid lip service to any detractors when they returned home later. Pretending "oh relax..we could leave whenever we want..."

The declaration of independence stated that a people sometimes have to remove themselves from what they are part of. The colonies wanted freedom from England and felt it was a right of people to part from a government. Yet they did not recognize the right of the people to remove themselves from the government that they felt was unfair to them. I wonder why the European Union doesn't invade England to bring them back into the union. It is basically the same thing. 700,000, give or take, soldiers died because the USA invaded the CSA. The number of civilians that died have been estimated to be much higher. Sherman had no problem killing women and children. He hated the black race and killed many of them also.
Everything I have read from historians seems to suggest that political pressure would have led slavery ending. No one can prove either way, but this is just what I have read in books. I somethings go to an alternative history site in which someone can propose an alternate history and every one can give his or her opinion on what would occur. A very popular topic is what if the South had won. Another is what if Lincoln never intervened.
The popular opinion on there is that slavery would have ended. Most people also think eventually the 2 countries would reunite. I know these are just opinions of people but some of those people are Civil War historians. Anyway, it is a cool site no matter what ones opinion is. People debate the topics similar to ATS.

<< 1  2   >>

join