It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake (Minor tremor really) reported in North Korea

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Last nuclear test DPRK did was something like 5.0M so this looks like a good old fashioned eq.

[Insert Fat joke here]

NK is trying for the thermonuclear explosion so a 2.6M is nothing. Heck, I don't react until it is over 3.6M here in the AK. I personally would never have even felt that!

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 12:46 PM
link   
A nuclear explosion has a fast intial transient shockwave. Its obvious if a major explosion occured. An earthquake on a chart looks totally different. It would be obvious and already talked about all over that north korea blew another nuke.

But i say keep watching for things indicative of a large explosion. North korea is aweful sloppy and accidents do happen.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR
a reply to: majesticgent

Im not so sure of that. Nobody got evacuated for safety sake last time. North korea didnt retaliate then and we screwed em good.

As for delivery systems. .we got more stuff than just the b2. Lots of ways to skin a cat.

I'm sure that the US military has some stuff that 99% of us know absolutely nothing about, and maybe could pull off said strike without being detected; Quite possibly even a cyber attack such as Stuxnet could be used to target their facilities.

I'm not sure about last time you're referring to, but this time around South Korea said that they will have to sign off on any pre-emptive strike since they will suffer the most from the retaliation.

This 2.6 quake event was most likely naturally occurring and pretty sure it wasn't caused by any military action.
edit on 15-8-2017 by majesticgent because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

KJU decided that NK will hold off on their Guam test for a "little while".

@ all, FYI, for those different waves associated with earthquakes...

Earthquakes and explosions generate several types of seismic waves, starting with P, or primary, waves. These waves are the first to arrive at a distant station. Next come S, or secondary, waves, which travel through the ground in a shearing motion, taking longer to arrive. Finally come waves that ripple across the surface, including those called Rayleigh waves.

In an explosion as compared with an earthquake, the amplitudes of Rayleigh waves are smaller than those of the P waves. By looking at those two types of waves, scientists determined the Lop Nor incident was a natural earthquake, not a secretive explosion.

sciencenews.org - How earthquake scientists eavesdrop on North Korea’s nuclear blasts.

I always remember the S waves by calling the "sine" waves because they roll like a wave. I always forget about Rayleigh waves. We had an earthquake a couple years ago that was just a jolt, up and down, P wave only which is rare (could have been really slow S waves).

Thanks for reminding about what I forgot!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join