It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conspiracy Theorists Just Want to be Special?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Generally I agree with most studies done on conspiracy speculationists(Can't call them theorist because theorists have cohesive data) and the histrionic mentality that goes with needing to feel like you're "in the know". We see it here all the time.
edit on 14 8 17 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 10:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
Generally I agree with most studies done on conspiracy speculationists(Can't call them theorists, because theorists have cohesive data) and the histrionic mentality that goes with needing to feel like you're "in the know". We see it here all the time.

I think it's a general information-related phenomenon, not just restricted to "conspiracy research."

Exhibit A: Wikipedia. A project run entirely by volunteer nerds (the average being an unqualified 21-year-old male NEET), where the members self-aggrandise themselves into imaginary positions of power, edit wars are commonplace, and the entire thing is essentially a link-farm and is definitely worthless in any academic context.

As someone once put it: "They're like rats in a maze, except there's no cheese at the end of it."

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 10:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: audubon
As someone once put it: "They're like rats in a maze, except there's no cheese at the end of it."

lol... oh my god this captures so much of just everything at this point...

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:38 PM
link   
a reply to: fiverx313

I don't want to be special.

I want to live in peace.

I'm fighting for a world my distant generations will inhabit. If that makes me "special" then so be it.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 12:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: fiverx313

Study 1: .....people who supported conspiracy theories were more likely to think they had information no one else had.

^^^(information that no one else wanted to take the time to research for themselves)

Study 2:
...They also found that a conspiracy theory that was made up received more support when participants were told only a minority of people believed it.

***...so then if this is true...why do conspiracy theorists always try to tell others and/or warn them of things happening (if they want to be the "only ones that know")? Plus, in all my 30 years of research...I have never once, not once, ever counted to see how many people believe the same as me. And neither has any other conspiracy theorists that I know of. It is the exact opposite (imho) that those who do not believe in conspiracies of any kind, tend ot believe what msm or the trends tell them to. The more people that think - for example - yoga is great, become all about yoga - just to fit in and be a part of the crowd.

or maybe... it's a conspiracy among psychologists to discredit conspiracy theorists? ...

***possibly this is why~

Note: I am just responding to the assessments of the psychologists, not your posting

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 12:03 AM
link   
i just thought it was interesting, tbh. i can't speak for how accurately it applies to everyone, since i didn't even follow up on their methodology.

it did put me in mind of a book i read about how people come to believe they've been abducted by aliens. i think the psychology behind our beliefs is more interesting than the actual beliefs, a lot of the time.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 12:18 AM
link   
I knew it!

Back in the 80s when people were saying that the CIA was bringing drugs into the country, it was just because they wanted to feel special.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Life is to short to adhere to the knowledge of others and not try to expand or redefine it. To blindly except the words of others only causes the information to become stagnant.

I can't explain it. I'm no poet.

You can go of the assumption that 1 + 1 = 2
Like the rest of humanity. But with the same knowledge from people much smarter then me. In a smaller scale of the atoms and entangled particles 1 + 1 = 4. Or better yet. Reproduction. 1 + 1 = 3. All of which is the same number with different answers.

So me. Life is to short. I will take the knowledge of others and conform it to fit my own reality. Because let's face it. I won't make a change in this world. I will die and the world will probably be better for it. Who knows. Until then I'll believe whatever I want. And share it because...I have nothing better to do.

edit on 15-8-2017 by ConscienceZombie because: had to add and subtract a little. multiply and divide is for later.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 04:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: ConscienceZombie
Life is to short to adhere to the knowledge of others and not try to expand or redefine it. To blindly except the words of others only causes the information to become stagnant.

I can't explain it. I'm no poet.

You can go of the assumption that 1 + 1 = 2
Like the rest of humanity. But with the same knowledge from people much smarter then me. In a smaller scale of the atoms and entangled particles 1 + 1 = 4. Or better yet. Reproduction. 1 + 1 = 3. All of which is the same number with different answers.

So me. Life is to short. I will take the knowledge of others and conform it to fit my own reality. Because let's face it. I won't make a change in this world. I will die and the world will probably be better for it. Who knows. Until then I'll believe whatever I want. And share it because...I have nothing better to do.

i am definitely all for questioning everything... but i also like to have a lot of solid evidence to make a conclusion. i think some conspiracy theorists are hobbyists with an interesting hobby, some are uncovering actual stuff, and some are doing harm to themselves and/or others... it's a very mixed bag, and a very interesting cross-section of the human mind.

what i like, and what drew me to ATS, are those threads and theories and speculations that i don't believe... but they're so beautifully constructed that i almost wish i could

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Oh but of course. You have to keep it within reason I guess. Why not have some part of you believe the absurd and insane. It could open doors to possibilities that are endless.

Granted just as positive so is negative.

But yeah. Take bits and pieces from pictures and use those scattered pieces to form your own picture. Truth is a made up construct to limit the minds and imagination. Think about the father's of science having to fight the followers of god. Back then. Gravity was to them as flat earth is to us.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Interesting the government calls anything that doesn't agree with the way they say it,a conspiracy,I'm leary of the fools thinking the government has their best interest,when your in charge of whats right or wrong things lean in your direction,why there are liberals tools of the government

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 05:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Oldtimer2
Interesting the government calls anything that doesn't agree with the way they say it,a conspiracy,I'm leary of the fools thinking the government has their best interest,when your in charge of whats right or wrong things lean in your direction,why there are liberals tools of the government

This is why a certain amount of people are kept or should I say allowed on welfare generationally, this way the government has a mouth piece that will fight for it, even to the point of violence. They will protect their handouts at all costs.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 06:33 AM
link   
I find the psychology of conspiracy theories really interesting.

There is lots of interesting research on this topic, this idea of needing to feel "Special" is very common there is also a trend in the literature about a inability to deal with real world events. I read a study a few years back about 9/11 conspiracies that concluded that most of the subjects who took part in the study were less education, had poor employment prospects and were more likely to believe other conspiracies. Its like once you believe one you will believe another.

Its a interesting topic but I also think its worth remembering that not every person who believes a conspiracy theory falls into these categories or has these characteristics its just a interesting trend.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Well the realities of life are that most people are naive af. So the conspiracy theorists really do have better information than somebody who only watches CNN, fox or whatever else is on and who only believes info from official channels. Lee Harvey Oswald was a lone,nut who acted alone right? Building 7 just happened to perfectly implode into its own foot print and the twin towers too?

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 07:05 AM
link   

So finding the truth now is special ?, these guys on that report you posted.... i can't even find a name for them.

I don't believe in climate change, but sometimes i wish it existed to rid all the snowflakes.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 08:05 AM
link   
'Conspiracy Theorists' dare to ponder the question, 'would government lie?' Conspiracy is a crime, not a theory.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

It's clearly written to marginalize anyone who thinks outside the box. Perhaps it makes them feel "special".

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

Precisely.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join