It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meet the Lemmysuchus , Lemmy's crocodile

page: 1

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Lemmy Kilmister has been immortalized in rock history since his death in 2015 and now thanks to a team of scientists has been immortalized again this time in natural history , or perhaps Croc history ,
The scientists at the Natural History Museum in London have named the Jurassic era sea crocodile which was recently recategorized as a new species after the Motorhead frontman.

Lemmysuchus was a big (19 feet long) fearsome creature which is considered to have been one of the baddest sea predators of its time , a fitting tribute to the hard living hard drinking rocker.
I think Lem would approve.

(Headbanging emo)

Lemmy's croc was dug up at Peterborough in England in the early 20th century. But it was recently re-examined and found to have been incorrectly lumped with other sea crocodiles from the area.
Given that it belonged to a unique group, the creature "needed a new scientific name," said the statement.
"Natural History Museum curator Lorna Steel was still mourning the demise of her favourite band, and suggested that it should be named after her musical hero."
"Although Lemmy passed away at the end of 2015, we'd like to think that he would have raised a glass to Lemmysuchus, one of the nastiest sea creatures ever to have inhabited the Earth," the statement quoted Steel as saying.
phys.org...

Gone but never forgotten.

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex
That's so cool. The song is perfect for this thread, too.

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 12:28 PM
link   

He is, for me, a local hero.

It was very depressing for me to read in the local paper that Tony Iomi had unveiled a blue plaque on Lems old home in a tiny little "photo-op" kind of ceremony. A few days after the event...no publicity before!

There should have been a bit more of a fuss made of it if you ask me. Our area constantly complains about being ignored or undervalued compared to other regions. Yet here is a world famous ex resident who will be remembered for years by millions and they just couldn't be bothered. Sad.

Still...that's a good name for a big lizard. Bet he'd smile at that.

RIP
edit on 9-8-2017 by Tulpa because: Clarified

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Most fitting that the curator of the museum was a fan too, excellent news! A fitting name for a rough looking beastie and I'm sure he would have approved of this.

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 03:33 PM
link   

They better name that element after him: Lemmium!!

It is a heavy metal after all! It is kind of a no brainer.

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Maybe CERN might find some kind of new particle with all their experiments.
If they do, I propose they call it Lemmyatom!!!

That would be too good to be true.

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Tulpa

Should super symmetry hold, then there should be an anti particle to that one: Anti Lemmyatom!

Heck, I'm pretty certain that Anit Nickleback exists without the LHC...

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Lemmy is indeed God! Long live his spirit.
edit on 8/10/2017 by Tundra because: (no reason given)

top topics

join