It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hollywoods historical revisionism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 12:25 PM
link   
We have seen in the cinema where history has been rewritten to protray events in the best light for America, or to even fictionilise entire real events. (The movie about the real capture of the German cypher machine on the sub is an example, in the movie version Americans did it, in the true events the British did it.) I am sure that there are plenty of other events as well.

Anyway, the Gulf war is in for a little historical rewriting.

www.usatoday.com...

With no resolution in sight, Iraq remains a timely backdrop. Audiences are hungry for glimpses of history in the making. March 19 is the war's second anniversary.

But not any and every angle of war is being depicted. One aspect is glaringly absent from most projects: negativity. The U.S. soldier is the hero; his cause is just. Storylines featuring the Abu Ghraib prisoner abuse scandal or war protests are no-nos.

"That gets you into arenas of policy," says Bochco, who has written four episodes of Over There, which is filming in Santa Clarita, Calif. "We'll be telling the story about young people's experience in war. I've always tried to stay off a soap box. I don't think proselytizing is good storytelling."

... "In many ways, Hollywood is embedded with the military," Robb says. The military "know that when positive images are portrayed in movies and television shows, they see huge spikes in recruitment. The military is really pressing to get into these pictures. ... These films (that receive Pentagon assistance) should have a disclaimer: 'This film has been shaped and censored by the military to meet recruiting goals.'"

By only putting a positive spin on the war, makes it a tool for Bushes government to justify all the events that happen there. Its a form of propaganda and will be exported to other countries as such.

[edit on 8-2-2005 by Netchicken]

[edit on 8-2-2005 by Netchicken]

new topics

join