It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Predictive Text Writings

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Ran across an interesting tumblr the other day, where someone has been using a predictive text interface to create different types of writing, such as screenplays and yelp reviews. They're very interesting reading, and have a disjointed feel that reminds me of the interior (il)logic of dreams I've had.

It's interesting to ponder where technology like this might lead. Do you think it will develop to the point that it could function independently and be used to write 'normal'-seeming text?

sweet dreams and goals and objectives and demands

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 11:15 PM
link   
a reply to: fiverx313

Dear Abby
That's both creepy and funny at the same time.
An unusual mixture of weird SJW type drivel with very unPC bits but don't worry, once your mother has gone your father will get pregnant with you and you will be born!
Totally surreal.
The depression one seems a little dangerous..."Is there something wrong with you? Are your thoughts wrong?"

I think it needs a little work to be honest but I'm not really down with the kids these days so...
Its probably perfect as it is!

I read that a lot of the Amazon reviews are fake too. The way they read they could be coming from the same source.

posted on Jul, 30 2017 @ 01:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tulpa
I read that a lot of the Amazon reviews are fake too. The way they read they could be coming from the same source.

haha quite possibly

i particularly enjoyed the yelp review of laguardia airport

objectdreams.tumblr.com...

the one of ellis island too... seemed very appropriate to our current times somehow

objectdreams.tumblr.com...

posted on Jul, 30 2017 @ 08:59 AM
link   

I was not aware of this...thank you for the info

posted on Jul, 30 2017 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Those are wonderful.
Reminds me of the safety instructions from imported Chinese goods.
Or when you take a bit of text, translate it into German, translate that into Japanese then that into Russian then back to English.
Sometimes there are no equivalent words so a bit of imagination is required and it doesn't always quite fit.

It can be hilarious.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 07:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: fiverx313
Ran across an interesting tumblr the other day, where someone has been using a predictive text interface to create different types of writing, such as screenplays and yelp reviews. They're very interesting reading, and have a disjointed feel that reminds me of the interior (il)logic of dreams I've had.

It's interesting to ponder where technology like this might lead. Do you think it will develop to the point that it could function independently and be used to write 'normal'-seeming text?

sweet dreams and goals and objectives and demands

I've actually done some programming in this field. Predictive text and chatbots while looking similar from the outside, have a very different internal system. Predictive text creates a system of weights between words, and how likely one is to follow another. With that weighting system it makes weighted random picks and strings together sentences. On your phone it's similar except the random part is left out, it just displays the highest weights.

Chatbots on the other hand are pretty primitive. They can make generic responses, and some of the better ones can even quickly learn a language by breaking sentences down to parts, but they have a lot of trouble in building contextual clues as to what they should say. There's a lot of work being done in this field.

I suspect that in 10 years we'll have universal translator apps on our phones, and in 20 years we'll be able to make two apps hold a conversation.

The translation stuff is pretty interesting. I took a class which went into it a bit last year. It completely blew my mind at the logic of how it can work when taught to a computer. The basics of it are taught in 6th grade when they have you graph/diagram sentences (that's something I thought I would never use again).

new topics

top topics

join