It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wanted...Creative Ideas for Reusing or Recycling Plastic Bottles

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2017 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: blend57

You might need to train them to use the feeder. It took ours a bit to get the idea, but once they did, it took off quite well.

posted on Jul, 30 2017 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Ok..I just did a prototype for a Tiki Torch using plastic bottles. It is basically still in the beginning stages, but I took some pics and will include what I did...

That's the soon to be finished project...

Items used:

!. Nestle 16.9 oz water bottle
2. Cord
3. Twine (optional for decoration)
4. Solar power t-lite candle
5. Paint (optional for decoration))
6. Fresh cut Bamboo

1. The first thing I did was (using pliers to hold it) melt the center of the bottle cap and push a hole through with a pencil. Have to be careful not to melt it too much, you want the plastic to be just pliable enough to stretch and finally puncture. Make sure you are heating the outside of the cap and not the part with the threads (you need to still be able to screw it on the top.

2. Cut the bottle along the 5th ridge (last ridge before the bottle narrows). This will allow you to push the bottom part of the bottle into the top part and help hold the two pieces in place.

3. Insert the cord into the bottom part and glue it around the outside rim.
4. Decorate the top piece of the bottle, that's what the paint and twine was for..

5. Screw on the lid to the top part of the bottle and tie the cord in a knot before you pull it through the lid. You want just enough sticking out to give it the "wick" look. Make sure it is long enough to wrap around the inside of the bottle...you want to be able to pull it open and change out the solar light if need be. Also, it may be good to lengthen the bottle at some point if your need the solar light to get more sun??

This is where I am undecided...I can either use fishing line to hang it from the bamboo or maybe a hook of some sort. Also, I was thinking these could be used for luminaries as well...The painting, I am unsure I want to do too much if any at all..but I liked the twine, it gave it a more rustic/natural look...

Probably will finish it up tomorrow hopefully but I wanted to post what I had so far and see if anyone had any better ways/ideas for design or hanging it...

Thanks,
blend57
edit on 30-7-2017 by blend57 because: Always an edit! : /

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: blend57
LadyGreenEyes

Thanks for the pics! I saw the bird feeder ones while I was looking for projects. But I never saw the flower pics. Looks like a fun project to do.

You are welcome! Saw the pics posted someplace, and saved them. They do look like fun. Will have to try them myself at some point with the kids.

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Dont forget the free day-lightbulb!!

Get one of these for your house, it makes some decent cordage if anything!

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Butterfinger

Thanks for the editions to the thread! I like the solar bottle idea...save on the light bill..lol. But maybe not do the drilling through the roof part.
It is wonderful that he could give indoor lighting to people that maybe couldn't afford it otherwise..

The plastic rope idea was very cool as well. I watched the other video about it and they showed how to make that cutter. When I get a chance, I'll try to make one myself. You always, always need rope for something...

Sorry for the late reply, it's been an unusually hectic week for me and it's just finally starting to calm down a bit..I do love seeing how creative people are, even minor solutions like the crafts and such make an impact on our plastic dilemma...

Thanks,
blend57

top topics

<< 1   >>

join