It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secretary Rice Names Security Coordinator In Mid East

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Sec. Rice has named a Lt. Gen. to be the US security Coordinator for the middle east. Apparently, his primary focus is to work on the Israeli-Palestinian situation, ensuring security between the two in order to promote peace. This should be taken in the larger context of recent movement on the part of the US administration on the subject of resolution of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. The recently controversially confirmed Dr. Rice is touring the middle east as one of her first functions as the new Secretary of State.

story.news.yahoo.com
Ending a Middle East visit that signaled a renewed U.S. commitment to peace efforts after Yasser Arafat's death, Rice told a news conference in Tel Aviv that Lieutenant-General William Ward had been appointed security coordinator
The move fell short of assigning a U.S. envoy to oversee peacemaking, which Rice said she preferred to be as free of foreign mediation as possible, and underscored a belief new hopes for ending the conflict rested on halting bloodshed first.
[The Appointee] "assist the Palestinian Authority (news - web sites) to consolidate and expand their recent efforts on security and encourage resumption of Israeli-Palestinian security coordination."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I find it strange when people in important positions like this get looked over. Such as L. Paul Bremmer. Of all the books written on the Iraq situation, there didn't seem to be very many that were biographies of him. So who is Lieutenant-General William Ward, who has served in Egypt, Somalia, Germany and SK, and was also the Commander of the Nato Stabilisation Force in bosnia after the war?

I'd think that that position would make him rather qualified for his current position, working with 'intractable conflicts' as they are called. And I think that a military person in general is the right person to head up these kinds of things, although I have to wonder if he has other responsibilities for the larger mid east situation, or just the I-P conflict?

Related News Links:
www.townhall.com
www.townhall.com
story.news.yahoo.com

[edit on 7-2-2005 by Nygdan]

[edit on 7-2-2005 by Nygdan]

[edit on 2-7-2005 by Valhall]

[edit on 2-7-2005 by Valhall]

[edit on 29-3-2005 by Spectre]

new topics

join