It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Convair B-36 interesting HD takeoff video

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Always had a weird fascination with the B-36 but never seen such clear footage!

Check out that airframe shake and flex

Interesting flight clothing also.
edit on 10-7-2017 by E92M3 because: fixed link

edit on 10-7-2017 by E92M3 because: fixed link

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 07:44 AM
link   
a reply to: E92M3

It is from the 1955 movie, 'Strategic Air Command.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Nice find. Actually if you ever get to see modern large aircraft conducting high power runs on a run bay they shake, wobble and twist in a similar fashion, particularly the eppennage.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 07:50 AM
link   

But...but...but the propellers are on backwards!!! Lol! I never knew anything like
that even existed! Thanks for posting it!
And of course anything with Jimmy Stewart
in it is good! How did I not ever see that one?!

WOQ

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 08:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

It is from the 1955 movie, 'Strategic Air Command.

Found that after googling it, seems to be on the US Netflix but not available for Aus.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: thebozeian
Nice find. Actually if you ever get to see modern large aircraft conducting high power runs on a run bay they shake, wobble and twist in a similar fashion, particularly the eppennage.

Closest I've been to a large prop plane doing engine run ups was a RAAF caribou, actually a Lockheed Constellation also but I don't remember much.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 08:55 AM
link   

What a beautiful bird.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

I once saw a flight of eleven of them flying west over Illinois. Tremendous noise different than the old rotarary-engine bombers.
Perhaps they were on the way to the bone yard out west They didn't last long as jet bombers chased them into oblivion.

Thanks! for that Netflix tip.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Once read there was talk about putting these on a carrier. Because of their range, or something.
I don't know what the take off run would be like, but I know it would be one heck of a big ship. More like trying to sail "Long Island".

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: tinymind

Once read there was talk about putting these on a carrier.

I think they would have to design a new carrier for that task... like ten times as long as the current supercarriers that we have now.
The B-36 had a very long takeoff run.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: tinymind

They were planning to use it AS a carrier. Under the FICON Project some B-36s would have been modified to carry parasite fighters that they would launch near the target area, then recover and carry back.

Originally, they would release an F-84 with a tactical nuclear weapon while the B-36 stayed out of range. Later it was changed into an RF-84 for reconnaissance. It actually entered service but only lasted a few years before the B-36 was obsolete.
edit on 7/10/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Here is an interesting B-36 that was tested: Convair NB-36H
They were testing to develop this: Convair X-6

Imagine a fleet of aircraft of aircraft each being powered with a nuclear reactor!
I am glad that it didn't work out.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Sorry I must have been tired last night, the word is empennage. I regularly carry out runs, either in the cockpit or on the headset at the nose gear. The amount of twisting would surprise most people. Its common for the tips of the horizontal stabiliser to wobble up and down 2-3 feet. If you slam the throttle of an outboard engine on a 747 with a light fuel load the whole aircraft will slew a foot or two and you see the pylon visibly flex up and twist. If you are standing at the aft end of the cabin in something like an A-330, 747,767, A-380 the flexing and twisting causes you to sway. Its been said that in heavy turbulence in A340-600's zone curtains are drawn so that passengers dont become alarmed by the visible flexing of the fuse.

So where were you to see a Caribou and Connie conducting ground runs?

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 10:39 AM
link   

So where were you to see a Caribou and Connie conducting ground runs?

Connie at Avalon airshow (2009) Also a B-1 attended which I can still feel the afterburners in my chest! Caribou I've come across at many airfields, YPEA/Avalon/YPJT.

top topics

join