It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Progressives New Plan To Force High School Kids Into The Military

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Just traveled from Indiana and through Chicago to get back to Wisconsin. I need a shower after drudging through that slime-infested sh!thole.
I can't stand Chicago!

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: KTemplar

There are always community college, apprenticeship, trade school or an internship.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

I thought progressives hate the military and brave soldiers who return home.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 07:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

I thought progressives hate the military and brave soldiers who return home.

How did you type that after your head exploded?

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik

There are always community college, apprenticeship, trade school or an internship.

I know. I just love the military! Grew up playing army with the neighborhood kids who are now Commanders. I love the structure, the loyalty, the comraderie
edit on 8-7-2017 by KTemplar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Having read the article and then did a bit of a research and finally looking at the CBS report on this the following can be stated:

The concept is a good one, and one that we all should stop and pause to consider. The mayor is looking that the children, those that are going to be graduating, need a direction, a purpose, something that encourages them to decide and work towards a future. The initial article as put by the Op, is very misleading, and is not exactly a reputable source.
However, what is not stated in the article and is often forgotten, is that all 5 branches of the US Armed forces, all have requirements, and no longer just merely take a person without a basic education. They have revamped and redone their requirements to join up and volunteer.

But, beyond that, the Mayor is looking at the future of the city and the country, beyond that of what to do with the children in the city, and that is that they need to graduate and to have some form of plan, idea and job to continue to have a city that is not failing. But it also means that now the schools are under the gun, to help students prepare for more feasible life skills that would require them to study and go beyond just graduating and getting out of school.

We have all heard of the pipeline school to prison or crime, where children go to school, and then get out with no opportunity and end up in either prison or doing poorly. He is changing the direction of that pipeline, where children are now encouraged and pushed to try and succeed, instead of just hopes and failure.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 07:44 PM
link   

I read you post the wrong way and was pointing out that there were more than just the expensive and the military to choose from.

I liked the idea of the military when I was an adolescent but I grew out of it and it would have probably been the wrong choice for me.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: sdcigarpig

The problem with what you are saying is that it ignores that the schools themselves are incompetent at preparing. Even kids who graduate do not have the basic skills they need despite the diploma. Kids get passed up the pipeline just to get them out of the teacher's hair. Having taught inner city for a few years, there are plenty who get graduated for that reason, not because they've actually earned it.

They wouldn't be able to pass a military entrance exam, don't have the work ethic required to hold down a job, and aren't going to make it in any level of college.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: 00018GE
How do you prove that you have a job? Is there a approved employer list? I'd be more than happy to employ them all, The pay is low though, just one penny, but the work is easy. All you have to do is VOTE!

All you need to do is print out some business cards, get a company LLC tax number, make a website and say you are a self-employed consultant. That's what a lot of software engineering contractors, investment fund managers do. Could be extended to PC repair/gardening/whatever.

Or you find a part-time job as a saturday girl with a hairdresser, find a part-time job at the supermarket, and so on.

There are gap year fairs that are accessible to the wealthy, but the poor won't be able to afford the air fares/hotel stays.
edit on 8-7-2017 by stormcell because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I understand that this is trying to give kids and direction, but it's not going to work.

The time to do that was when they were little before they were spoiled by life. You don't just drop in with a law after they've spent their formative years being little wastrels and suddenly and magically expect to reform them, especially where many are coming out of generations of brokenness.

If you really want to change things, you have to get them much, much younger and it has to be an all-pervasive effort to shape everything about how they are raised, but that would imply they come from a broken culture, and that would be racist.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Almost every Chicago high-school senior already has a job. Many are employed by the Cripts, Deuce Racketeers, Crossbones, etc.. and make far more money than any college graduate.

edit on 7/8/2017 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

That was something that I also brought up, and that is where the schools are going to have to also change their mindset, and then it has to spread out to the students and the parents. It means that parents are going to start to get involved in their children's lives. And the community also needs to keep going as well.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Chicago (Cook County) and maybe a part of Lake County are the only reason IL. is a blue state.
There are very powerful forces at work there.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 02:36 AM
link   

It will be successful too due to the explanations in the last 3 pages of the book "silent weapons for quiet wars."

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join