It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Explosion at McKinley Climatic Lab in Florida

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Breaking news of an explosion at the McKinley Climatic Laboratory on Eglin AFB in Florida. The lab is used by the military and civilian aircraft manufacturers to test aircraft in extreme temperature conditions. No word on what caused the explosion, but there was a release of Methyl Chloride as a result. A 1,000 foot area around the lab was ordered to remain inside and turn off air conditioners, as were surrounding areas.

www.firstcoastnews.com...

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Chloromethane was a widely used refrigerant,I thought its use has been discontinued due to its toxicity. I wonder why they'd still be using it?

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Lots of chemicals involved in the aviation world.

It really could be anything from improper storage of an unstable chemical to equipment malfunction.

For now I just hope everyone is alright.
edit on 5 7 17 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: slapjacks

Chloromethane was a widely used refrigerant,I thought its use has been discontinued due to its toxicity. I wonder why they'd still be using it?

It is used in thermomechanical sensors and actuators, although most applications have been replaced by electromechanical types.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: slapjacks

It could be an old unit that's been grandfathered in.

But I can't imagine what would cause a refrigeration system to explode, unless for some insane reason, they were performing climatic exposures on live ordinance.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Everyone at the lab is fine. There were reports of some exposure effects during the evacuation, but no injuries as a result of the explosion.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 01:15 PM
link   
It appears that it was a secondary structure, not the main hangar where the testing takes place.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Asides from being a highly flammable gas in refrigeration. Not used much anymore. Some places are grandfathered in. Used in paint removal too.

"chloromethane me be produced naturally in the oceans by the action of sunlight on biomass and chlorine in sea foam. However, all chloromethane that is used in industry is produced synthetically"wiki

www.akzonobel.com...
"In practice:
Methyl Chloride is used in the chemical and pharmaceutical industry, mainly as raw material for the production of silicones and methyl celluloses, but also for surfactants, pharmaceuticals and dye stuffs. A small portion is used as low temperature solvent for the production of butyl rubbers." ~article
edit on 5-7-2017 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: slapjacks

Chem trails!

It is produced naturally in the ocean and in order to model the atmosphere it would be used in trace amounts to mimic the naturally occurring stuff.

Flammable and nasty to breath in. Paralysis, coma, death are just some of the mild side effects. Consult your doctor if you experience any of these conditions to adjust dosage! Do not inhale if you use a nebulizer or cortical steroid in treatment of asthma or CPOD.

All kidding aside, glad they got it locked down and none was released!

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

There was a release, but they got it under control pretty quickly. One person said she almost collapsed and had chest pains after breathing in the smoke during the evacuation.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 06:36 PM
link   

I read a newspaper statement that said the "shelter in places" was to verify none was released.

Oh, I should not trust the MSM as the story is breaking to get it right.

Some of your links are blocked by security software so I usually have to get another one to read.

Thanks for the update and correction!

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

There were two statements. The first said there was a release, then they rolled it back and said possible release. But I saw a number of statements by other agencies that said they were informed there had been some released.

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 08:21 PM
link   
A subcontracted welder was using an oxy-acetylene torch to remove a corroded I-beam that was within 2 1/2 inches of coils containing R-30 refrigerant. AMU1, where he was working, also contained flammable adhesives, sealants, and coatings within 10 feet of where the welding was taking place. All told the fire did $30M in damage.

McKinley fire report.

top topics

join