It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mad Cows in the Garden (from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Too many don't understand the infectious nature of prion related diseases such as mad cow. Prions are a highly infectious agent that has been spread everywhere. This article speaks to the issue of how prions cross over into the VEGETABLE food sources.

www.garynull.com
Hundreds of thousands of cows infected with mad cow disease (BSE) have been destroyed in England, and the British government believes that 10 people have succumbed to a human form of the disease as a result of eating infected beef. Last year, researchers concluded that it was possible for mad cow disease to be passed through beef bone and marrow, and the government subsequently banned the sale of most cuts of beef on the bone.

Bone meal is commonly used as a fertilizer in agriculture, especially in organic gardening. Is it possible that people could become infected with mad cow disease through contact with bone meal, either as they apply it to their gardens, or through ingesting residues on vegetables? Could the infective agents, called prions, be absorbed by plants and transferred to humans who consume them? No one knows for sure, but the British government has already banned the use of bone meal as a fertilizer in commercial agriculture.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) contends that there is no need to worry about mad cow disease in this country, since no cases have turned up in U.S. cattle. Yet, some experts believe that a variant of the disease, perhaps just as deadly, may already be widespread. Also, infected bone meal may be imported from other countries with the disease.

To be on the safe side, experts recommend that gardeners handling bone meal wear masks and gloves, and take care not to become exposed to the substance through an accidental cut or splinter. Many high-phosphorous alternatives can substitute for bone meal, such as rock phosphate and soft rock phosphate.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

So many people think that "organic" grown foods are safe from this pandemic disease. However, the use of contaminated fertilizer has spead these horrid little "bugs" into every food source.

Here is the a paragraph from the artilce that is most impoertant.

"[Editor: In a recent PBS special on mad cow disease, researchers found that prions were not harmed when buried in the ground for three years. In a recent conversation I had with a university plant scientist, he said that it was theoretically possible for prions from contaminated fertilizers to be absorbed by plants. Given these facts, it might be prudent to avoid vegetables grown with bone meal until more is known.]"

Prions take years to show up as human diseases. The questions is not IF we are all at risk, but when will the outbreak be recognized.........

[edit on 6-2-2005 by DrHoracid]

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 12:25 AM
link   
It may true that prions exist naturally in plants as well as animals, animals are completely composed of proteins, plants are largely carbohydrate. I believe a prion is a mechanistically [not-DNA/RNA] replicating protein. Probabalistically, more proteins = more prions. When an amino acid is not available for construction of a prion the construction has to terminate.

So quit eating so many hacked up animals. [joking]

Note if you are eating veggies, make sure you wash them well on the chance they were fertilized with infected animal products. Also 10% of all produce is watered with sewage [mostly 3rd world countries]. So for both reasons your safety resides in washing them well. Then you mostly have to worry about toxic metals, PCBs, etc.

If i don't quit talking i may talk myself out of eating all together. Not likely, I like eating. You look delicious.

edit: one more thought

I love how the government recomends using gloves and masks to spread bone meal fertilizer like it is toxic, but acting as if eating food from it is ok.

Can you say 'Doesn't add up'?

If it is contaminated, prions persist in the enviornment and NOTHING breaks them down. Not fire, freezing, acid, etc. only enzymes from thermal vent bacteria are able to break them down.

This stuff should be treated as a toxic substance. Like radioactive waste almost. Transported to some enzyme vat where it can be broken down. NOT spread over agricultural lands turning them into a toxic waste site. If an animal eats this it can infect the animal, even if it is just dust on leaves of plant.

[edit on 7-2-2005 by slank]

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Better watch the cannabalism, lol...you get more diseases from eating things with diseases you can catch (and human diseases are communicable,
)

Honestly, the only way to keep outbreaks like that from happening is to grow your own food, and be careful about it. If there is no "communal food" there's not communal outbreak due to it.

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 12:36 AM
link   
In New Guinea they ate the brains [The worst possible part] of their conqured enemies. That is how vCJD became common there.

jlc163,
you need to put some meat on those bones.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I don't know how I missed this!

DrH is right - infectious prions do infect plants - and are communicable to humans from there. ...The first research on this was in the 1980's, in reference to 'gall disease' - a kind of plant cancer.

...Will come back to this when I'm not distracted. ...And DrH - please feel free to u2u me when you make new posts on prions, or about any others I may have missed. Thnx.

new topics

top topics

join