It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lightening... stronger over ocean?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 04:07 AM
link   

A study published in Geophysical Research Letters in February and recently getting some attention may explain why. Researchers from the Florida Institute of Technology found that lightning strikes over the ocean can be much more powerful than strikes over land.

Is Lightning Over Ocean Really More Powerful Than Over Land?

Lightening has always fascinated me. It's destructive power, haunting beauty, and raw power is something to be admired. In 2005, the National Geographic estimated the chance of being hit by lightening at 1:700,000. Flash Facts About Lightning

The most recent article claims that fisherman on the ocean are three times as likely to be hit by lightening...

They found strikes over the ocean carried more charge than those over land. In fact, they estimated that lightning with peak currents of more than 50 kilo amperes (50,000 amperes my estimation) is more than twice as likely to occur over the ocean.
and that is from the same source link...

The reason? Who knows?

Enjoy planes getting nailed by lightening

I've flown through thunderstorms... awesome...

But lightening is freaking amazing.

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 04:25 AM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

I've always loved watching lightening. As a child it was the most fascinating thing to me to sit and watch it from my doorstep with my friend.

I like your post.

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Yes they are however they are also less likely to occur. Lightening over land is almost twice as likely. The ocean just doesn't produce as many leaders as objects on land.

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Isn't the reason simple?

All of that water is a better ground than earth's dirt, trees, etc.

top topics

join