It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weird marks I found on a tree..

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

Rope or cable used to bring down another tree?

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

originally posted by: SBMcG
a reply to: Bigburgh

You beat me to it. I've had enough trees cut down here in the Pacific NW to immediately recognize that as the result of someone harvesting an edible fungus. I believe that particular one is prized for its naturopathic uses.

But that's exactly what it is...

Right on. That may be what it is. Thanks to BigBurgh too for the links, I don't really know anything about truffles or truffle hunting.

Maybe I should keep my eye out for them today..

Supposedly, some of these "medicinal" tree fungi are worth $100's of dollars per pound. I have a hippy cousin who runs a "holistic" health business in Skagit County and she uses that stuff constantly.

Personally, I'm more of a go-to-the-doctor-and-get-a-shot kinda guy, but to each their own.

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 12:21 PM
link   

A cougar leaping from tree to tree? Doesn't explain the black coloring though.

I've never seen marks like that but I know Vancouver Island and the surrounding islands have the most dense cougar population on earth.

Man I love Van Isle, not to be nosy but what did you mean by "up near"? Juan de Fuca? Feel free not to answer if you think I am a creepy stalker lol.

When I did my trek across Canada I once went to a crazy 3 day rave on Salt Spring Island just off of Van Isle. From your avatar l see you're in Washington. Ever take the ferry from Port Angeles or Seattle?

Hope you get to visit Tofino!

edit on 13-6-2017 by Mikehawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks
a reply to: aliensanonymous

I only hike in a camo romper with a fidget spinner in each hand..

Hope I don't come across a fidget wielding romper clad underwerks in a forest some where. Sounds dangerous and terrafying. There would be more than a couple of marks in that tree as a scurry up it in fear.

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Yes you should. Look at the base of the tree's and dig. Just a few ounces can bring in as much as Caviar.

SBMcG

I put them in Butter, Pastas, etc etc..
Fancy restaurants love them.
edit on 13-6-2017 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 12:34 PM
link   

You know after watching the 411 videos, dogman, and all the disappearances I am not sure I am up for taking a walk into the woods by myself any more. For one that scratch looks very high up in the tree, and second looks like it punctured the tree, something like a axe would do, but with what appears to be 5 slices. Nice find op

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: allprowolfy

You know after watching the 411 videos, dogman, and all the disappearances I am not sure I am up for taking a walk into the woods by myself any more. For one that scratch looks very high up in the tree, and second looks like it punctured the tree, something like a axe would do, but with what appears to be 5 slices. Nice find op

A fellow sailor friend of mine, who frequently sails between Seattle and Juneau via the Inward Passage of Vancouver Island, swears that he has seen grizzly bears on the very northern tip of the island in the last 5 years or so. I have not seen pics, so you know the old saying...

I have seen black bears several times during my two voyages through the inward passage, but for the most part, they're more scared of you than the other way around.

A year or so ago a cougar attacked and injured a hiker (could have been a "jogger") on Vancouver Island.

I know there are wolves on the island as well. That's pretty much common knowledge.

Finally, many residents of the island will swear up and down that the place is lousy with Sasquatch! What Area 51 is to UFO sightings, supposedly Vancouver Island is to Big Foot encounters.

I don't know how much I believe that last thing, BUT...

There is a reason I never go into the deep woods here in the Pacific NW without at least a sidearm -- usually my Glock .45. Unfortunately, handguns are banned in Canada so you're going to have to take your chances should you choose to go native on Vancouver Island!

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Hatchet marks. And then a good-natured person smeared soot or something to help keep out disease. When doing serious trimming of trees in the yard, I used to paint the place where I pruned the limbs with white paint.
Peace

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Bear? The hubby, who's been studying trees in classes, says the black could be some sort of decay or mold, in the wounds of the tree, so might not be ash. The marks, and the log, and other claws marks you see, make me think of bears.

Edit to add - he says the marks look to be a year old, at least, and the black is likely mold or rot, something of the sort. Also, that he marks do NOT look to be made from an axe or a saw, but from claws.

I think claws as well, based on the spacing. Bear country, up there, to be sure!!
edit on 17-6-2017 by LadyGreenEyes because: added clarification

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 09:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: SBMcG
A fellow sailor friend of mine, who frequently sails between Seattle and Juneau via the Inward Passage of Vancouver Island, swears that he has seen grizzly bears on the very northern tip of the island in the last 5 years or so. I have not seen pics, so you know the old saying...

I have seen black bears several times during my two voyages through the inward passage, but for the most part, they're more scared of you than the other way around.

A year or so ago a cougar attacked and injured a hiker (could have been a "jogger") on Vancouver Island.

I know there are wolves on the island as well. That's pretty much common knowledge.

Finally, many residents of the island will swear up and down that the place is lousy with Sasquatch! What Area 51 is to UFO sightings, supposedly Vancouver Island is to Big Foot encounters.

I don't know how much I believe that last thing, BUT...

There is a reason I never go into the deep woods here in the Pacific NW without at least a sidearm -- usually my Glock .45. Unfortunately, handguns are banned in Canada so you're going to have to take your chances should you choose to go native on Vancouver Island!

Lots in those woods to cause concern, to be certain!! I read a listing of cougar attacks in North America once, for around a hundred years, and I'd swear, a good third were from either Big Bend National Park or Vancouver Island!! Funny....typinc that, I hit a "g" instead of a "v", calling it "Vancougar", lol! Definitely a place I'd be carrying! Nice choice of arms, by the way! Love that model.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join