It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facial Recognition Authentication

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2017 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I actually ran into one of the lead researchers on this DARPA project the other day and found the work this company is doing very interesting. I know there is a lot of IT/ Security individuals here thought some of you might appreciate this, especially if you're looking for new ideas to enhance your enterprise architecture.

PassFace

It is based on the mind’s capacity to recognize faces, an ability that has evolved in all of us over millions of years. Passfaces creates a more secure online environment at costs significantly less than alternative technologies. It’s easy to implement and easy to use, making it attractive to end users.It’s true, we never forget a face. We might not be able to associate a name with a face, but the brain can recognize a face for months, or even years after the first encounter. It’s that scientific fact that serves as the basis for Passfaces technology. Users are given a random set of faces (typically 3 to 7) to serve as their secret authentication code. They are then taken through a “familiarization process” that imprints the faces in their mind. To authenticate themselves, users have to pick out their assigned faces, one at a time, from successive groups of nine faces.

I really like the direction they are going in with this abstract solution for authentication. As many of you know infosec is kind of becoming a buzzword in the tech world due to things like WannaCry, The Home Depot hack, Target, phishing scams and other forms of exposure to weak security and network infrastructure.

edit on 1-6-2017 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2017 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

Well this is an interesting twist. I was thinking they would use a machines ability to recognise the users face for authentication, but instead they have the user select a familiar face as the passcode. An interesting way to go about it. Although, all of those faces belong to someone. How odd would it be if your face, or someone you know's face pops up as an option. It seems a bit odd on second thought.

posted on Jun, 1 2017 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
I actually ran into one of the lead researchers on this DARPA project the other day and found the work this company is doing very interesting. I know there is a lot of IT/ Security individuals here thought some of you might appreciate this, especially if you're looking for new ideas to enhance your enterprise architecture.

PassFace

It is based on the mind’s capacity to recognize faces, an ability that has evolved in all of us over millions of years. Passfaces creates a more secure online environment at costs significantly less than alternative technologies. It’s easy to implement and easy to use, making it attractive to end users.It’s true, we never forget a face. We might not be able to associate a name with a face, but the brain can recognize a face for months, or even years after the first encounter. It’s that scientific fact that serves as the basis for Passfaces technology. Users are given a random set of faces (typically 3 to 7) to serve as their secret authentication code. They are then taken through a “familiarization process” that imprints the faces in their mind. To authenticate themselves, users have to pick out their assigned faces, one at a time, from successive groups of nine faces.

I really like the direction they are going in with this abstract solution for authentication. As many of you know infosec is kind of becoming a buzzword in the tech world due to things like WannaCry, The Home Depot hack, Target, phishing scams and other forms of exposure to weak security and network infrastructure.

Doesn't the Samsung S8 already have facial recognition?

posted on Jun, 1 2017 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

I find the idea to be interesting however I think the data can still be comprised by traditional vulnerabilities as the information still has to transit the same mediums of communication.

More interesting that how ice cream cones Trump had last week and the latest useless commentary from Clinton.

edit on 1-6-2017 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2017 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Taggart

Did you read their website???

top topics

join