It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IBM builds its most powerful universal quantum computing processors

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

Future applications of quantum computing may include:

•Business Optimization: Providing improved solutions to complex optimization problems found in supply chains, logistics, modeling financial data, and risk analysis;

•Materials and Chemistry: Untangling the complexity of molecular and chemical interactions leading to the discovery of new materials and medicines;

•Artificial Intelligence: Making facets of artificial intelligence such as machine learning much more powerful; or

•Cloud Security: Using the laws of quantum physics to enhance the security of private data in the cloud.

(phys.org article in OP)

Although QC will help in "supply chains" I think the big use will be in point two: materials and chemistry.

Modeling materials specifically will benefit as we move closer to building our world on a molecule by molecule basis.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

If we ever go beyond the quantum level of information, QC might lead us to a source that connects us all, to eventually where computers and cell phones need not to exist.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: imitator

The Force??

LOL. Sorry, I could not help myself! A laugh is needed today. So thanks!

A counterfactual booster and we will become The Borg! I am not sure if that is a good thing or bad thing. On one hand there goes war, conflict, money. The other hand is loss of individuality. Not to mention the skeeziness of pedos and serial killers. But I suppose that is one way to weed them out.

First though, before the sci-fi future, the baby steps of running 16-, 17-qubits. I think this is a huge step: from 5-qubits to 16-qubits. Ergo, 17x3 = 41 if IBM manages the next step we are awfully close to quantum supremacy. I read 42 qubits is all it takes but due to error correction 50 is a more realistic number.

I think the quantum computing supremacy race is on. The winner gets more than bragging rights. Maybe by the end of the year or early next the 50-qubit limit will be reached. Then?? IDK. But us dreamers can dream!

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Haha, yes just like The Force.... though I was thinking more of human genetic engineering, not exactly the convergence of man and machine, but to where you are born with an ability to not need computers, phones or TV etc... and no Skynet! : P

Have you heard of Kevin Warwick? If not you should read up on some of his research, it could very well go in that Borg direction.
edit on 18-5-2017 by imitator because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Google aiming for Quantum Supremecy by end of the year

By the end of this year, the team aims to increase the number of superconducting qubits it builds on integrated circuits to create a 7-by-7 array. With this quantum IC, the Google researchers aim to perform operations at the edge of what’s possible with even the best supercomputers, and so demonstrate “quantum supremacy.”

There will be no such extra infrastructure in this 49-qubit system...

Spectrum.IEEE .org, May 24, 2017 - Google Plans to Demonstrate the Supremacy of Quantum ComputingGoogle Plans to Demonstrate the Supremacy of Quantum Computing.

They are going to generate "random numbers" to demonstrate their 49-qubit machine out performs the, "Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory... 29-petaflop supercomputer, Cori" which did the same in simulations of a quantum computer using 45-qubits (same source).

This one will not be universal like IBM's but perform this one quantum algorithm.

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   
And the dark horse in the race...

The company [Rigetti Computing] on Tuesday launched its own cloud platform, called Forest, where developers can write code for simulated quantum computers, and some partners get to access the startup's existing quantum hardware.

...Forest is designed to support programs that use a quantum processor to give new powers to conventional software, a bit like a computer might have a graphics card, a hybrid model Rigetti claims will be vital to making the technology practical. The platform allows coders to write quantum algorithms for a simulation of a quantum chip with 36 qubits. Select partners can access Rigetti's early quantum chips through Forest today, similar to how IBM has put its own quantum chips online.

Wired.com June 20, 2017 - The Quantum Computer Factory That’s Taking on Google and IBM.

- and -

Ozy.com, June 19, 2017 - Can This Quantum-Computing Genius Beat Out IBM and Google?

Chad Rigetti has been busy. He has secured near 70 million in funding, has 80 employees, offices in Freemont and Berkeley, and a chip fabrication center. "36-qubit simulation" is a bit of a tell but they have not released details about what they are actually working on. The "hybrid" comment is kind of a tell... maybe a quantum cloud? Not sure. With two articles out in two days there is certainly a bit of a buzz around him.

That makes four: IBM, Google, Intel, and, now, Rigetti Computing. At least in the US.

What a wild race to quantum supremacy!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join