It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Escape from Microsoft Office

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2003 @ 03:28 PM
link   
www.sianews.com...

I knew they had bad business practices, but this is getting out of hand from these people

posted on Jun, 26 2003 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Damn I didnt know that they did that!

posted on Jun, 26 2003 @ 03:44 PM
link   
was it any real surprise? ohh...

US Army Signs $471,000,000 Deal for Microsoft Software

According to this article at Yahoo, Microsoft will provide software for 494,000 Army computers during the next six years. At roughly $950 per computer this clearly involves more than just the OS, although the article unfortunately doesn't provide details, and I was unable to find any references to this on the Microsoft website. The great things about this deal: the Army is going through a reseller, when clearly they have the purchasing power to buy direct; and most of the computers they purchase are normal consumer machines which will be purchased with Windows and Office already installed, so the Army will be paying twice for each machine.

makes you wonder if MS and the gov have got something going on. I sometimes wonder if MS purposely makes holes in their software and gives the secrets out.

story.news.yahoo.com.../nm/20030625/tc_nm/tech_microsoft_army_dc

posted on Jun, 26 2003 @ 03:45 PM
link   
It's not as if we don't already have enough to worry about in Windows. The infamous NSA key incident, or the humdrum commercial snooping defeated by tools like SpyBot Search and Destroy and SpyCop. Windows is so full of holes that it takes a platoon of software products just to protect it from, say, Homeland Security MIBs or corporate managers ready to keystroke-log you.

I use Spybot S&D, does that mean it isnt working?!

I wasnt sure of how to inturpret that paragraph...

posted on Jun, 26 2003 @ 03:55 PM
link   
you're right, the paragraph isnt exactly clear, basically the gov is A. getting ripped off by purchasing the PC's from resellers (they can buy direct) B. they're buying other things that come along with the 950 bucks a pop price tag. Or C, perhaps they#re purchasing those PC's that come loaded with a nice fancy win 2003 server on it? There's no sense in that, I dont think the gov per se has 494k servers

join