It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia deploys A-50 AWAC to the Jableh AB

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 10:14 AM
link   
This is the first time Russia has deployed an AWAC there. An AWAC the size of A-50 can see hundreds of kilometers radius and track hundreds of planes and ground vehicles and ships. It is also a force multiplier for CAS against mujahideen.

pbs.twimg.com...

link
edit on 30-4-2017 by allsee4eye because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I'm surprised it took them this long to deploy one.

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

They didn't have a need for it.

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: allsee4eye

Yeah, they really did. AWACS are huge for keeping aircraft separated. They relied on our AWACS calling their aircraft and warning them of possible conflicts, and then didn't monitor the frequency being used to call them.

If they had one in the area, they probably wouldn't have had their aircraft shot down by Turkey. Our AWACS had just gotten on scene and tried calling them, but most Russian aircraft don't monitor the GUARD frequency normally.

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Good point. Do you happen to be in the USAF?

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   
According to several sources (including Wikipedia) the A-50 Mainstay has been operating over Syria since December 2015. I am sure it has done well in coordinating the carpet bombing of Aleppo and will have recorded all the Syrian aircraft movements that prove/disprove their presence in the recent chemical weapons attacks.

I wonder how these planes compare with the Western equivalents? In fact, are there any NATO AWACs deployed in situ, perhaps flying from the UK bases in Cyprus, or from Turkey?

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

That was rumor and likely not true. No photo was published. Today the photo verified.

A-50 is a large plane on par with E-3.
edit on 30-4-2017 by allsee4eye because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 11:41 AM
link   

No. I know a lot about their operations and equipment though.

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   

There are pretty much always an E-3, be it NATO or US when large scale air operations are going on. They used the Air Force G model for the first time there last year.

The A-50, depending on model is slightly less capable than the E-3, but still extremely capable. The U model, being tested now is the equivalent of the E-3C.

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 11:45 AM
link   

It's difficult to take photos of AWACs flying at a few thousand metres, hence no photos you have seen. They can fly over Syria and return home.

Here's a couple of reports from January, with one citing Janes as the source...

Some blog or another

... and another one

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Thanks.

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Right. This time there is one deployed to the base in Latakia rather than return to Russia. Suggesting they want early warning against Tomahawk strikes.

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 12:01 PM
link   

They're useful for a lot more than just that though. I wouldn't be surprised if this is a U model, on it's first operational deployment, and is being used as a test. They've tested a lot of systems over Syria, and this would be a good place to test the U and see how it works.

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 01:06 PM
link   

End of last year they flew for the first time the replacement aircraft of the A-50, the A-100.

It should become operational in 2018.

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: theultimatebelgianjoke

Too early to deploy one, that's why I think this is probably a U, on an operational test. They're still getting the U upgrades. They started getting them in 2011, but haven't had any real operational tests for them until now.

The A-100 will be closer to the E-3G. Still not quite to the same level, but much closer. The PESA radar will be an interesting change to the current radar.
edit on 4/30/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

(post by TDawg61 removed for a manners violation)

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 12:54 PM
link   
A-50U appears in this video

new topics

top topics

join