It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meningitis outbreak in China

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 12:23 AM
link   
According to China's Health Ministry, there have been 546 cases of bacterial meningitis reported since November, with 258 of them in January. At least 16 people have died.

Cases of meningitis have been reported across China, with the exception of Fujian province in the southeast, Hainan in the south and Tibet.

cbc

I think the numbers are probably much higher than they are admitting. They weren't exactly up front about the avian flu.

Also, I can't even begin to imagine how you could effectively control an outbreak in a country with that many people, with the cases so widespread.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 02:06 AM
link   
You are right. It is very difficult to effectively control the outbreak with a diverse population vector like China.

Things may get worse as the Chines New Year holidays are just around the corner, with millions and millions travelling on the public transport system, to rush back to their hometowns for the celebrations.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by dixon
Things may get worse as the Chines New Year holidays are just around the corner, with millions and millions travelling on the public transport system, to rush back to their hometowns for the celebrations.

Oh my gosh, I didn't even think of that. This is has the potential to become a huge issue for them.

Also a bit more info, as of February 1, Hong Kong Health Authorities had still not been officially informed. When will this govt learn it's lesson?

Hong Kong health officials are urgently seeking information about an outbreak of meningitis in China that has infected more than 250 people and killed 16.

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 08:17 PM
link   
My bet is that it will follow a predicatble path. During this coming period, there will be very little or nothing else said about this problem, and they'll try to deal with it on the quiet after the coming two weeks. Hope that Hong Kong and other Asian nations will be extra vigilant.

top topics

join