It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Superstition Good Bad is having too much superstition a bad thing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 08:06 AM
link   
HBO is running a special titled "Abortion". I didn't watch the whole thing but in channel surfing I caught 30 seconds. In the bit I caught, the women describing why she decided to start protesting a local abortion clinic. She said her name was Ann. And when she drove by the Planned Parenthood building should would see "ann" in the word "Planned". And she said she thought the Lord was talking to her because her name "ann" was in the word "Planned".

I've always been fascinated with the nature of superstition and how people have it. I have seen people take portions of their life experiences and make them mean something supernatural. Just like Ann did with her sign from God. So my question is once you go down this path how do you manage what is supernatural and what is not. It seems to me this kind of loose interpretation of our life experiences would be fraught with misinterpretations that could lead to terrible outcomes like the burning of witches. Maybe NOTHING could be attributed to supernatural causes. How does one judge the right balance between supernatural causes and mundane causes?

Many of founding fathers for deists. Deists believe God, our creator, created the Universe and the laws of physics. But deists believe once God created the Universe, he does not actively participate in how it unfolds.

So the question becomes is superstition real? Does God participate in the affairs of man? And how does anyone know how to properly interpret the signs?

edit on 15-4-2017 by dfnj2015 because: typo

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

"Superstition" is subjective to ones own interpretation.

So is "belief".

"Witnessing" is a whole different phenomenon. Once you witness something out of the 'normal', then its no longer about superstitions or beliefs.

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 08:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

"Superstition" is subjective to ones own interpretation.

So is "belief".

"Witnessing" is a whole different phenomenon. Once you witness something out of the 'normal', then its no longer about superstitions or beliefs.

But is "ann" in "Planned" a sign from God?

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 09:02 AM
link   

For her, it was. Thats what is meant by subjective reasoning.
edit on 15-4-2017 by intrptr because: additional

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Stevie and I agree superstition ain't the way.

"When you believe in things that you don't understand,
Then you suffer,
Superstition ain't the way"

new topics

top topics

join