It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Annie Dookhan...Boston chemist that was falsifying lab results

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 02:40 PM
link   
im fascinated with this case.

en.wikipedia.org...

For instance, she reportedly tested over 500 samples per month—five times the normal average—even though her supervisors and colleagues claimed to have never seen her in front of a microscope, and that she frequently misidentified samples

In August, police interviewed Dookhan at her home in Franklin, where she admitted to altering and faking test results in order to cover up her frequent "dry labbing," or visually identifying samples without actually testing them. She even went as far as to add coc aine to samples in which no coc aine was present.[6] She said she had been dry-labbing for as long as three years

On December 17, Dookhan was formally arraigned on 27 charges—17 counts of obstruction of justice, eight counts of tampering with evidence and one count each of perjury and falsification of academic records. Prosecutors alleged that whenever a second test failed to confirm the initial results, Dookhan would tamper with the vials to make them consistent with the inaccurate results obtained by her dry labbing. She was also charged with falsely certifying results that she knew to be compromised; these certifications were admitted as evidence in court

after all that she gets 3 years in jail and 2 years probation. i dont get it.
seems like a very soft sentence for all those charges.

she also said she had a masters from u mass boston but apparently she did not. i dont know how that got by but it did.

i read an article now that i cant find where she said she used to do coke and methamphetamines on the weekends ans it was always high quality # she took from the lab.

what do you think her motivation for doing this is? she was not making any money off it.
do you think he goal was to ruin lives? i just cant wrap my head around it.

also cant wrap my head around how she gets such a light sentence...
pretty crazy story

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Because American's don't feel sympathy for drug abusers. They're a safe demographic to demonize. It doesn't help that people call it a disease. Whether that is true or not depends on what you understand "disease" to be. Its absolutely a mental health issue...but there again....mental health is demonized in America.

The sentence was far too light. She not only took away peoples liberties (she should be liable via civil courts as well), she crapped on the holy Criminal Justice system. While i think it does a fine job of mocking itself, there is no arguing her actions made a mockery of it.

In 100 years people will laugh at our quaint, ignorant ways. Just like we do about our forebears.

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I try to never confuse the possibility of simple stupidity with an intelligent sinister plot .... or something like that

I would rack it up to them never thinking about consequences. Talk about living in the moment.

But I would say that sentence is waaaaayyyy too lenient. Kind of disgusting actually.

/sarc .. that will certainly prevent future episodes of this type of behavior ... /sarc

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

what do you think her motivation was though?
it was not money so just #s and gigs?

i cant figure out a good one

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

I don't know if she was paid for higher productivity?

Crooks lock their doors are night, though. And the tyrants who crusade against the evils of homosexuality tend to, themselves, be gay. So who knows.

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I would say she was running a scam.

If she was taking the stuff herself, then she was smart enough to figure out that having the testing job was allowing her to have access to her drug of choice much cheaper than buying it off the street. That she also had to pretend to do her job was the unpleasant side effect.

Chemistry is also much easier to fake than, say, biological testing. Chemistry always pretty much works the same way every time, like cooking. So long as you can measure accurately and follow the instructions, you can fake it pretty convincingly on testing. They will turn out the same every time.

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I wonder if she was being blackmailed? Depending on who was doing the blackmail it might explain the lite sentence. Maybe just taking the hit and keeping her mouth shut.

This is the first thing that strikes me that would explain doing to all for no payoff except maybe supporting her own habit...

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Maybe it was her own version of jihad, to sew chaos.

As to her phony credentials, nobody looks too hard when they have an affirmative action quota to fill.
edit on 2-4-2017 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 04:47 PM
link   

what do you think her motivation for doing this is? she was not making any money off it.
do you think he goal was to ruin lives? i just cant wrap my head around it.

Ever see a cat play with a half dead mouse?

Lack of empathy. Most people don't; understand it because they apply their own sense of ethics to the world around them. They would never do that how can he she they?

Don't lose you sense of values over it either , just realize there are those that actually enjoy harming others.

The germans have a word for it.

Schadenfreude

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Don't lose you sense of values over it either , just realize there are those that actually enjoy harming others.

The germans have a word for it.

Schadenfreude

Actually those that enjoy harming others are sadists. Schadenfreude refers to those that relish the misfortune , failure or suffering of others due to whatever person or circumstance is the cause.

posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 01:23 PM
link   

total guess here but.
maybe she was guided to falsify results for department interests (fines/citations=money) and she's been given a light sentence as an agreement to keep her mouth shut and be the scape goat...

top topics

join