It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elon musk

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Just read a news Article about Elon musk opening a new company called Neurolink where he is developing technology which will be inserted into our brains somehow allowing us to download and upload memories, personally I think this man is the future of our planet and race with his space x program and his futuristic ideas. what are people's views on this ?

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 03:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Bfletcher618

There is another thread on this.
Other than that, maybe you could post a link to the article and a blurb from it.
Just trying to be helpful.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 03:58 AM
link   
A couple weeks ago I saw posts about him warning Skynet was going to wipe out humanity.

Now this week he's starting the humans neural interface with Skynet project.

An interesting thing here.

In many pieces back in the 2000's decade I wrote, I warned, that this Skynet wannabe thing DARPA+NASA+Google+etc are spending billions per year in developing, if it works (assuming it IS possible), well they're creating a human species endgame scenario where either we merge with It, or else we pose a threat to it and face total obliteration by it.

If you want to know more, how you might properly understand the threats of this Century against the very survival of our species, someone say its worth my time and I'll be sure to post the materials in here....

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Link me the article and I'll give ya my opinion.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 04:20 AM
link   

into our brains somehow allowing us to download and upload memories, personally I think this man is the future of our planet and race with his space x program and his futuristic ideas. what are people's views on this ?

If the future of humanity is even more Tech well than Elon Musk is our hero.

Before uploading something in you brain first install an antivirus app or you might get a trojan in your frontallobe . You might think half at fast , your brain may freeze sometimes and you're constantly think about ads , but hey this is the future so have fun stumbling around like a zombie.

link   

into our brains somehow allowing us to download and upload memories, personally I think this man is the future of our planet and race with his space x program and his futuristic ideas. what are people's views on this ?

Before uploading something in you brain first install an antivirus app or you might get a trojan in your frontallobe . You might think half at fast , your brain may freeze sometimes and you're constantly think about ads , but hey this is the future so have fun stumbling around like a zombie.

link   

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 04:36 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

I would tend to agree with you, that the direction we seem to be heading in now, with regard to technology particularly, indicates, or at least suggests a possibility that a Skynet like creation could come about, and threaten us in similar fashion.

However, it is also worth pointing out, that human intellectual evolution (as opposed to merely physical evolution) has a great deal to do with the ways in which we record our histories, our discoveries, and our understanding of things. Think about it. Many millennia ago, human beings had to paint on cave walls, using hues they created from the crushed bodies of bugs, or the saps of trees, or from sedimentary rocks or charcoal. Using the most rudimentary tools, they created artworks which were not only beautiful, but also informationally dense. Hunting scenes, war scenes, busy images depicting many facets of their lives were on display, but using those rudimentary tools, having to work by firelight, having to create the medium in which they worked from the natural bounty around them took them time, time in which the memory of the events depicted may have changed. From the cave walls of prehistory, to the stone carving talents of the ancient Egyptians, these works of art were actually works of education and information.

It is only relatively recently that art was made for its very own sake, absent the need to convey a particular or singular message, and even more recently that the method for making those records changed from being largely involved with manipulating a block of minerals, or the pasted remains of dead animals and crushed rocks in the form of paint, or to write those records in actual ink, to being able to record data without limitation of space, without concerns over the physical resources used to create the record at all.

Since information began to be recorded at all, there were two main features of its recording, which played a part in how effective the medium of recording would prove to be. First, informational density, how much data could be recorded and displayed in any given space. Second, how long that record was likely to last, how well it would survive not only the rigors of time alone, but also any effort to destroy those records. As we see from the sack of the Library at Alexandria, some records do not survive nearly as well as others.

Now though, we live in an age where information can be stored in mind boggling volume, with a FANTASTIC degree of longevity. The drive to improve our methods of recording however, is entering a new phase. Now that we have such staggering capacity for storage, now that we have such reliable mediums for that storage, we are beginning to shift our focus, on to how fast we can record data that we collect. Is there a way, for example, for a person who has data in their mind, to record that data much faster than the time it takes to type it, or indeed speak it aloud? Certainly, we can make videographic and photographic records in mere moments, but can we express non-physical concepts as fast? No. Even with the fastest fingers upon a keyboard, even speaking as quickly as one possibly could into a dictaphone, we cannot record our thoughts as fast as we can have them.

But imagine if we could record our cogitations, imagine what it would be like to control computer systems without the need for vocal or physical interaction with them, without the need to issue textual commands or press buttons, without the need to vocalise our instructions to the system in any audible fashion. Thought would become action, or record, depending on what the purpose of the system being manipulated is.

Imagine being able to create a CAD file, simply by visualising a piece of machinery, a work of art by simply seeing it in the minds eye... The possibilities presented by such an enormous step forward are staggering to contemplate. So although I share your reservations about all this, I also understand the drive to make them happen. From the point of view of the technologist, this is the coming of Nirvana, the key to the Kingdom of Heaven.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 04:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
A couple weeks ago I saw posts about him warning Skynet was going to wipe out humanity.

In many pieces back in the 2000's decade I wrote, I warned, that this Skynet wannabe thing DARPA+NASA+Google+etc are spending billions per year in developing, if it works (assuming it IS possible), well they're creating a human species endgame scenario where either we merge with It, or else we pose a threat to it and face total obliteration by it.

If you want to know more, how you might properly understand the threats of this Century against the very survival of our species, someone say its worth my time and I'll be sure to post the materials in here....

You do realise that "Skynet" is a fictional AI from the Terminator films.

Real AI's, unlike human beings, are very limited in what they are capable of doing.

Take for instance the Google search engine, which is an AI by some standards but is not likely to ever be more than a search engine. If it stops being an effective search engine, it would be decommissioned (remember AltaVista?).

Just because an AI is an AI, doesn't mean it will be like a fictional MacGuffin.

AI's can be more different than humans.

Also, I see a bigger threat from us humans.

Imagine a world where half the population are enhanced with implanted tech and the other half, who cannot afford the tech are unable to think, act and understand at anywhere near the enhanced. It would be the creation of a new biotechnologic species who would out-compete the un-enhanced. The only way for the un-enhanced to survive is to wage war against the enhanced, as humans have always done. In comparison, AI's have no motive to do anything other than what they are programmed for.

edit on 28/3/2017 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 04:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: frenchfries

There is a glitch in the Matrix...

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 05:44 AM
link   
What is the end-game? I'm pretty happy with my brain, and I do enjoy gadgets.... But this seems rather dangerous, in my opinion.

When will enough be enough?

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 06:09 AM
link   
I hereby welcome our Borg overlords.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 07:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

You do realise that "Skynet" is a fictional AI from the Terminator films.

Real AI's, unlike human beings, are very limited in what they are capable of doing.

Take for instance the Google search engine, which is an AI by some standards but is not likely to ever be more than a search engine. If it stops being an effective search engine, it would be decommissioned (remember AltaVista?).

Just because an AI is an AI, doesn't mean it will be like a fictional MacGuffin.

AI's can be more different than humans.

Also, I see a bigger threat from us humans.

Imagine a world where half the population are enhanced with implanted tech and the other half, who cannot afford the tech are unable to think, act and understand at anywhere near the enhanced. It would be the creation of a new biotechnologic species who would out-compete the un-enhanced. The only way for the un-enhanced to survive is to wage war against the enhanced, as humans have always done. In comparison, AI's have no motive to do anything other than what they are programmed for.

I wish people would stop saying that an AI will only do what it is programmed to do. That's the thing, what they are creating, what everything is building towards, is something that transcends programming. AIs today aren't so much programmed as they are taught.

This will get even more true in the future. The goal is one algorithm that can learn anything, do anything, without having to be programmatically told exactly what to do.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Here is a link to the article my bad I should of added it earlier

www.google.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I like your theory here, im interested so go on a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 04:31 PM
link   
In laymans terms what your trying to say is it will essentially be able to teach its self what to do as a human would learn but as you say it would have an Algorithm instead of a human like way of learning if that makes sense a reply to: PokeyJoe

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Get gets plenty of that sweet sweet taxpayer $$$$ to run his businesses.

Elon Musk Business Empire Funded with $4.9 Billion in Government Subsidies
www.govtech.com...

Tesla Is Worse Than Solyndra
www.slate.com...

top topics

join