It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Canadian Judge Rules Deporting Suspect "Fundamentally Unacceptable"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Canadian Federal Court Justice Eleanor Dawson made a ruling in the case of Egyptian born Mohammad Mahjoub, who was arrested in Toronto June 2000, overturning his deportation order. Mahjoub is one of at least five Muslim men being held in Canada on national security certificates, which allow Canadian police to hold prisoners without charging them or giving them full access to the evidence against them. An appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada is likely.

www.theglobeandmail.com
"I acknowledge an issue of importance has been raised which I do not decide: whether circumstances would ever justify deportation to face torture," she said in a decision released late Monday.

However, she did say there are "powerful" indications that deportation to torture is "conduct fundamentally unacceptable; conduct that shocks the Canadian conscience" and therefore violates fundamental principles of justice.

"Within Canada, torture is seen to be so repugnant that it can never be an appropriate punishment," she said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

While some may agree that torture is an acceptable action against someone deemed a terrorist, I am not one of them. To me, it's sneaking something in the back door you wouldn't let in the front; and for countries that are supposed to be civilized, such as mine, it is the very height of hypocrisy. I hope the Supreme Court of Canada upholds this ruling. I would rather pay to detain the fellow, than have his blood on my hands.

[edit on 1-2-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Nukes should be launched@!@#$#$!!

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Well said, Duzey. Agree with you on this one.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Thanks, AL.

I knew you'd like that story, since you've been watching the treatment of Muslims in Canada so carefully. It was the right decision.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Yea Duzey.

Yea Canada.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Thanks soficrow.

I was doing a little more digging on the men currently held on national security certificates in Canada when something I've read about 100 times finally sunk in. Mohammad Mahjoub was arrested on June 23, 2000. By my calculations, that is just under 15 months before 9-11.

Am I the only one who didn't make this connection? I don't really know what to think, because I had no idea these laws were in effect before 9-11.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey
Mohammad Mahjoub was arrested on June 23, 2000. By my calculations, that is just under 15 months before 9-11.

Am I the only one who didn't make this connection? I don't really know what to think, because I had no idea these laws were in effect before 9-11.

...Just more evidence that it's an insidious ongoing conspiracy.

Really tho, it is. We're at the apex, the culmination, witnessing the final scene...

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I can't believe I never noticed that until now. Now I have to go through books of notes, to see what else I've missed. Great. I guess I can write off another weekend to research, the library kind.

But, it's cheaper than drinking, and I won't feel sick the next day, so it's not all bad.

join