It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Songs That Make You Question the Songwriter's Intent

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Are there any songs where you listen to them and you wonder what the songwriter's intention was with the song?

The best example I can think of is "Murder By Numbers" by The Police. Were The Police promoting murder or speaking out against it?

www.youtube.com...

The Cure's "Killing an Arab" seems to be more on the side of clearly promoting murder to me.

www.youtube.com...

Because the first two examples are potentially so serious, I want to include one that doesn't seem as bad. Was Avril Lavigne promoting kidnapping with the following lines?

"I wanna lock you up in my closet / When no one's around"

I know it's a double entendre, but that doesn't change anything in reality.

www.youtube.com...
edit on 16-3-2017 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Hell, Im still wondering about Soft Cells song called Sex Dwarf...

The original vid is on youtube.. not posting it here.. its racy. Its under "soft cell ( non stop) sex dwarf" for the brave...

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 12:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

The Bloodhound Gang is a band I question.

Then there's this one:

What really makes me raise an eyebrow is their name.

Revolting cock?

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 12:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

Jimmy pop?? Bloodhounds stuff.. their intention is obvious... he is STILL a sex obsessed 12 year old in his head. Thats his intent. Fame and to get some. Voila.

Revolting cocks.. not going there..

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Not that I believe it, but Charlie Manson apparently based a lot of his ideas on hidden meaning he saw in Beatles songs, particularly Helter Skelter IIRC.

On a more personal experience, I always thought Philip Glass might be trying to make me a Manchurian Candidate... (if you're not digging the initial bit, skip to 02:00)

edit on 16-3-2017 by AbdulAlhazred because: no reason

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 02:39 AM
link   
How about "Every Breath you Take", also by The Police. I love the melody, but the lyrics are basically about the singer's intent to stalk the subject of the song. I get goose bumps every time I hear it.

edit on 3/16/2017 by timidgal because: (no reason given)

edit on 3/16/2017 by timidgal because: Inserted a link

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 03:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: timidgal
How about "Every Step you Take", also by The Police. I love the melody, but the lyrics are basically about the singer's intent to stalk the subject of the song. I get goose bumps every time I hear it.

That song is an important part of Western culture. I agree with you that it has a sick message, but it seems like any particular message of something becomes irrelevant when it's 'important' enough to a certain culture.

As the song's sole composer, Sting earns the vast majority of royalties when the song is played on the radio, sampled or included in something like a commercial or a movie. This fact alone should have been enough to make Andy Summers and Stewart Copeland furious in the early to mid 80s. But at some point they probably stopped losing sleep over their loss. Then came Puff Daddy.

Imagine Making $2000 A Day From Something You Did 30 Years Ago… That's What Sting Did

Here's a scary thought, some people use "Every Breath You Take" as a wedding song.

There’s no mistaking that Sting’s bands’ 1984 hit is a beautiful song, but does it belong on the wedding playlist? No. But it is a popular choice, with its soft melodies, catchy guitar riff and Sting’s soothing vocals all giving the impression that Every Breath You Take is one man’s ode to protect his loved one. Sadly, Sting has publicly stated on numerous occasions that the song is about “a sinister, controlling character who is watching every breath you take.” More George Orwell than romantic gesture, then…

Top 5 Misinterpreted Wedding Songs

edit on 16-3-2017 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Make your next music thread, Songs that make me want to vomit.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Smashing.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 07:18 AM
link   

This song is about carrying out a school shooting.

top topics

join