It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TERRORISM: Terrorism Hoaxes are on the Rise

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 09:36 AM
link   
A horrible new trend is occuring, in which those who are seeking revenge on others are calling in false terror threats against these people. The cost of this is mass panic and expensive investigations that uncover nothing but a vendetta. The Boston terrorist alert is now listed as the newest hoax among the other false reports.

www.boston.com
The tips were frightening and very specific: Six people smuggled in from Mexico were seeking nuclear material for an attack on Boston; a Canadian Al Qaeda cell planned to bomb a Los Angeles shopping mall; a terrorist sought to blow up a New Jersey bridge. Each one set off intensive and costly investigations. Each one caused some measure of public alarm. But each one, according to authorities, turned out to being nothing more than a tipster inventing a terrorist threat to get revenge on an adversary.

''It's new in the terrorism context that people are using more extreme types of hoaxes to get revenge," said Bryan Sierra, a spokesman for the US Department of Justice in Washington. ''They're exploiting the concerns of a terrorist attack." The people behind such false claims are a varied bunch: the jilted lover, the motorist angered by a car accident, the vindictive mother, and the boyfriend cheated out of money. Falsely accusing someone of a crime out of a vendetta is hardly new. But Sierra said it appears to be a new phenomenon since Sept. 11, 2001, that people are making up large-scale terrorist plots ''simply for getting somebody back."

''Every time one of these threats turn out to be a hoax and information is out in the public domain, that is potentially a count against us in the whole crying wolves category," said Ford. Concerns about the impact that such false reports have on law enforcement and the public prompted Congress to increase the penalties for hoaxes in the National Intelligence Reform Act, which was signed into law last month.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is just a sick thing to do. Is revenge really worth the panic of thousands of innocent people, and wasteful spending of our tax dollars? Like the article states, the hoaxes may be like the boy who cried wolf. When a real terrorist threat finally comes, and hopefully it never will, people may just blow it off as another hoax and be put in real danger.

[edit on 31-1-2005 by zhangmaster]

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 09:41 AM
link   
HMMMM.

Sounds a lot like what was happening in Nazi Germany. ...Vindictive repressive regimes bring out vindictive repressive behavior. Who'da thunk it.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Thank the Patriot act and P2 that was splintered up and put into other bills. I have been saying that these things would start occouring soon. I knew it was only a matter of time
I am afraid we are reaching the point of no return.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Terrorism hoaxes are nothing new. I live in a fairly rural area and every year in public school from kindergarten up to 12th grade there would be two or three bomb threats called into the schools during each term. I was in school during the early 80s to early 90s. The 60s and 70s militant movements most likely started this type of thing. Its simply become more stylish to do post 9/11.

new topics

top topics

join