It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A New Cave, an Old Controversy: Dramatic New Discovery in Israel will Re-Ignite Debates

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

Alright, I just finished the article. It was a lengthy, yet interesting read. I am accustomed to narratives of fact, interpretation, and speculation, but rarely have I read investigative journalism focused on manuscript provenance. It seemed like a heck of an adventure for the writer.

Based upon the investigative revelations of Ariel Sabar and supplemental academic analyses, it would appear as though, "The Gospel of Jesus’ Wife", is a well perpetrated forgery. My sympathies go out to Professor Karen L. King for staking her career's reputation upon this manuscript.

I agree that there is indeed a larger narrative here with many vested ideological/political interests. I tend to steer clear of Dan Brown and any conspiracy theories related to his works. I take the man's works as an entertainment, not revisionist.

I can see how the, "Gospel of Philip", can be pieced into this larger, speculative narration. However, unlike the, "Gospel of Jesus' Wife",... the "Gospel of Philip" was archeologically recovered along with the other manuscripts of the Nag Hammadi Library. Even then, as this Gospel seems to be a one-off, I take it as an intellectual curiosity, rather than "Gospel Truth" (pun definitely intended
).

edit on 2/14/17 by Sahabi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Sahabi

I was caught off guard as to reading the piece myself and was a way through it before I decided to go back to start again to pick up on some of the points made earlier on in the narrative .I usually don't read that type of literature either as it is a kind of forensic sleuth novel with the who done it at the start . It was a learning lesson for me just in its composite but I am sure a much bigger lesson for Professor Karen L. King . She did write a apology or something to that effect and stressed the lesson she learned from the whole ordeal .

I have done a bit of reading on the Dan Brown thing too .At the end of the day it can only be taken as unbelievable in so many ways . The spin off was something I found myself knee deep into on these very boards .I was way in over my head but stumbled on a conversation between two members .There wasn't just the two of them but they had a gang .

I later exposed them by posting their previous conversation into a new thread they had created . Not sure if they got scared and ran but didn't see them afterwards for nearly a year .I think they pop in and out using different profiles as their MO seems to match .

<< 1   >>

join