It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Joseph Campbell - The Hero's Journey

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 07:34 AM
link   
While doing my research into a new subject, i needed to find a giant of the past to hold on to before making a deep dive in the world of fantasies. You see, going past a certain physical limit of mind, body and soul you need an exit route or you will be stuck in limbo.. I love deep diving, cause it gives something with a flavor to a really boring world..
-
My journey lead me up to a man named Joseph Campbell, ill quote the wikipedia instead;

He was an American mythologist, writer and lecturer, best known for his work in comparative mythology and comparative religion. Campbell's magnum opus is his book titled The Hero with a Thousand Faces in which he discusses his theory of the journey of the archetypal hero found in world mythologies.
~ Joseph Campbell

- The Timeless Tale of the Hero's Journey -

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants."
~ Isaac Newton

-
A man who already walked a path, means its not a new venture, but you can stand on his shoulders and take in what your life has offered already and make something unique.
Humans are always looking for a spiritual adventure, its connecting to our roots, the ones we lost so long ago. A world of storytelling can provide the missing link to our past, and make yourself ask a few simple questions;" Who am i, where do i come from and where am i going ". The answer is quite simple, but doing the journey alone for the first time is hard, learning to love without any fear. Cause the truth to the matter is;" You arent going anywhere, but home "

So if you have a little time to spare, look at the movie above.
edit on 201725 by tikbalang because: image

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: tikbalang

His series on PBS was catching, too. Some would find it dry and winded... meh, philosophy is better experienced than learned. Helped me to understand the power of mythos and the common thread of the heros journey handed down thru the ages. We all relate because its already in our 'heart'.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I was actually youtubing "Epic Poetry" yesterday to find different ways to write poetry/songs; ended up learning the gist the hero's journey.

Very Interesting subject.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Joseph Campbell was amazing. Bill Moyers did great series of interviews called the Power of Myth. It may be fantasies but the mythological stories are how we as a group give meaning to our lives.

If you only embrace science as your primary view of existence life becomes meaningless and empty. But it's also meaningless that it is meaningless. So if it's all meaningless, you might as well choose some set of "stories" to give your life meaning.

The study of Joseph Campbell led me to the study of depth psychology:

www.amazon.com...

I thought this book provided some interesting insights into the hero's journey.
edit on 5-2-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Campbells books on religion are great, he was a incredible person.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Some people's "Hero's Journey" is quite literal, far from metaphoric.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   
All I know about mythology is Gilgamesh was one bad dude muther effer:

"GILGAMESH went abroad in the world, but he met with none who could withstand his arms till be came to
Uruk. But the men of Uruk muttered in their houses, ‘Gilgamesh sounds the tocsin for his amusement, his arrogance
has no bounds by day or night. No son is left with his father, for Gilgamesh takes them all, even the children; yet the
king should be a shepherd to his people. His lust leaves no virgin to her lover, neither the warrior's daughter nor the
wife of the noble; yet this is the shepherd of the city, wise, comely, and resolute.'"

new topics

top topics

join