It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas Showdown: Governor, Sanctuary City Clash Over Immigration

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Texas Governor Greg Abbott vowed to cut funding to Austin’s new sheriff after she announced her county would scale back cooperation with federal immigration officials over deportations, marking a showdown over so-called sanctuary cities that may resonate beyond the Lone Star state.

Abbott, a Republican, has threatened to withhold nearly $1.8 million in state law-enforcement grants following Travis County Sheriff Sally Hernandez’s decision to buck state law and no longer honor all jail detainers sought by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement. A detainer is a request to state and local jails to notify federal agents when they are about to release an undocumented immigrant from custody.

Beginning February 1, her office will only honor holds placed by federal agents when a suspect is booked into the Travis County Jail on charges of capital murder, aggravated sexual assault, and human trafficking.

SOURCE

I never read a story like the one linked above during Obama's entire tenure as POTUS. Does anyone still think it doesn't matter who the POTUS is?

The ripple effects are astounding, and they're just getting started. Will Trump usher in the end of sanctuary cities?

Will Trump embolden governors and others in government to start acting according to their conscience such as what Greg Abbott is doing here? Is anyone else excited to see where this could all end up?
edit on 25-1-2017 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 12:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

acting according to their conscience

Oh, you mean like Sheriff Hernandez seems to be doing?

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 12:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

Considering the following, where is the wiggle room when it comes to what Sheriff Hernandez is doing concerning illegal immigrants?

Elected Officials, Law Enforcement, and levels of Government Employees in Texas take this oath. There may be some variation due to the nature of the job but it is almost this exact oath. It can be found in the Texas Constitution (see reference below) and as also stated in the Lewisville City Charter (see Part1, Article 5, Section 5.08). I took the liberty to bold and Italicize important parts of this oath.

Section 5.08. Oath of office.
Every officer of the city shall, before entering upon the duties of his office, take and subscribe to the following oath of affirmation to be filed and kept in the office of the city secretary.
"I, ________________, do solemnly swear (or affirm), that I will faithfully execute the duties of the office ________________, of the City of Lewisville, State of Texas, and will to the best of my ability preserve, protect and defend the Constitution and Laws of the United States and of this State and the Charter and Ordinances of this city; and I furthermore solemnly swear (or affirm), that I have not directly or indirectly paid, offered, or promised to pay, contributed, nor promised to contribute any money or valuable thing, or promised any public office or employment as a reward for the giving or withholding a vote at the election at which I was elected, or if the office is one of appointment, to secure my appointment. So help me God."

SOURCE

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 12:10 AM
link   
A little primer on Texas Law

(3) "Official misconduct" means intentional, unlawful behavior relating to official duties by an officer entrusted with the administration of justice or the execution of the law. The term includes an intentional or corrupt failure, refusal, or neglect of an officer to perform a duty imposed on the officer by law.

Sec. 87.012. OFFICERS SUBJECT TO REMOVAL. The district judge may, under this subchapter, remove from office:
(9) a sheriff;

Sheriff Hernandez is on pretty thin ice. Probably too new to know this. Let's see ... the former President's middle name was Hussein and he favored Muslims (in many people's opinions). Any guesses on who Sally's favorite people might be?

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Opps, I did not know that acting according to one's conscience depended upon 'wiggle room'. Sure, it does look like she is on thin ice according to the oath she took which apparently in the past did not bring the crisis of conscience that the situation has now brought into focus. She may go down fighting a loosing battle, rescind and cooperate or in good conscious resign. But I still find it hypocritical to laud one persons 'conscience' while denouncing anothers.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Well i guess she will do this based on her own ethics. With the last name she has I dont doubt her ethicity has something to due with her position on this topic.

I expect her to get fired from the position then lawyer up and fight this however her chances of winning in texas with the position she holds is a longshot. She doesnt make the rules she is just supposed to enforce them and if she wont or cant the state has the right to replace her. Yeah she will make a few dollars as a hero on some talk shows and late night tv shows like "late night with bla bla bla" but her career is done. Her best option is privet eye work or a security guard after the fame dies down. If she doesnt fold like a lawn chair to keep her job. However i understand why she might be doing this and sometimes its better to save face for family then do something that will hurt them.
If that is the case she is better off resigning gracefully and allowing someone else to do her job if she doesnt agree with it. I think most people would respect that but i doubt that will happen and believe she will waste tax payer money fighting agaisnt having to do her job.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 06:57 AM
link   

"Sanctuary City" - is that not just a term used when supporters of the federal offense wants to avoid saying "place where officials chose to not uphold the law of both the individual and the United States of America"?

It is mind blowing that this appears to be an option across some 300 American cities.

Sanctuary Map, Center for Immigration Studies

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 07:49 AM
link   
a reply to: digital01anarchy

For the record, 1) Her last name has nothing to do with it, Hernandez is a Spanish surname and as such may well date back to the 1700's in Texas. San Antonio was established in 1718 and that surname is quite numerous in Texas, then 2) Its political. Travis county is the county in which Austin, the state capital, is located and is a Blue Democrat stronghold. They compete there to see how Progressive anti-American they can be. She's making a statement to insure re-election.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 11:38 AM
link   

she wasn`t hired to act according to her conscience she was hired to enforce the laws, if her conscience prevents her from doing her job she needs to resign and maybe become a nun.
edit on 25-1-2017 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-1-2017 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Opps, I did not know that acting according to one's conscience depended upon 'wiggle room'. Sure, it does look like she is on thin ice according to the oath she took which apparently in the past did not bring the crisis of conscience that the situation has now brought into focus. She may go down fighting a loosing battle, rescind and cooperate or in good conscious resign. But I still find it hypocritical to laud one persons 'conscience' while denouncing anothers.

The law is the law, follow the law, if you don't like the law then change the law, until the nfollow the law.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Trump has signed executive orders today cutting off funding for Sanctuary Cities.

The states battles with Trump are only just beginning.

he president signed the two orders Wednesday during a ceremony at the Department of Homeland Security after honoring the department's newly confirmed secretary, retired Gen. John Kelly. The executive orders jumpstart construction of a U.S.-Mexico border wall, one of his signature campaign promises, and strip funding for so-called sanctuary cities, which don't arrest or detain immigrants living in the U.S. illegally.

bigstory.ap.org...

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 01:40 PM
link   
In my opinion any and every sanctuary city should lose ALL Federal monies! If you are not going to enforce and abide by the federal laws why should you be able to receive federal money?

new topics

top topics

join