It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Organisms created with synthetic DNA pave way for entirely new life forms

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 02:20 AM
link   
What an interest time we live in and what kind of future will our children get to experience. AI and genetic manipulation in the very near future will cause a total revolution in many fields we take for granted today.
www.theguardian.com...

From the moment life gained a foothold on Earth its story has been written in a DNA code of four letters. With G, T, C and A - the molecules that pair up in the DNA helix - the lines between humans and all life on Earth are spelled out.

Now, the first living organisms to thrive with an expanded genetic code have been made by researchers in work that paves the way for the creation and exploitation of entirely new life forms.

The stories about nanobots turning the world into some kind of gray goo or some synthetic creature getting out of a lab and self replicating until it is the sole life form on earth....One could write some serious articles and books about some of this stuff..

In a report published on Monday, the scientists describe the modified microbes as a starting point for efforts to “create organisms with wholly unnatural attributes and traits not found elsewhere in nature.” The cells constitute a “stable form of semi-synthetic life” and “lay the foundation for achieving the central goal of synthetic biology: the creation of new life forms and functions,”

I have no problem with scientific research... What I do have a problem with is some fat little idiot in North Korea (someone else would do also) deciding to create a crash program (since he knows it can be done) to do others harm with a newly created self replicating bug. Just another two edged sword that will one day change many of the things on planet earth....IMO....

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Its scary playing God.

Why are we rushing things that can lay off more people. No job will be safe.

What if we make our usurper?

Some don't believe it possible, but I do. These experiments will only lead to something grander.

I'm all for scientific advancement, but what will be the cost?

Are they not checks and balances for this kind of thing?
edit on 24-1-2017 by StolidPanda because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 02:56 AM
link   
a reply to: StolidPanda

It is always advertised that checks and balances are in place which I am sure there are until some big funding corp or the government steps in and says do this our way or face a shut down..

Sorry I suppose I have lost faith in some of the best intentions stated for I am old enough to see what actually happened...hahahah I am also old enough to have forgotten most of them so just call it a FEELING !....Geez I sound like I am becoming part of the PC crowd.. I will wonder off and drink a cup of coffee while reevaluate my thoughts on this day...

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 03:04 AM
link   
If it can be successfully decoded and simulated... it could be destiny.
A (or another) creature some day, will become evolved enough to understand DNA and RNA at the architectural level.
Many think it happened already, with our earliest of ancestors, but the proof is anything but solid.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Synthetic organisms could be used peacefully and to very beneficial effect, as well as have terrible potential consequences.

Time, and only time will tell.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Time doesn't have to tell.

Humans are evil. What do you think our creatures will become?

Goodness.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Synthetic organisms could be used peacefully and to very beneficial effect, as well as have terrible potential consequences.

Time, and only time will tell.

Given humans track record with technology....

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: TarzanBeta

Goodness.

Give me a Cat girl maid who is cute. looks like my friend i have a crush on and can be mated with and the rest of yall can go do whatever.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I am not against scientific advancement. However I think that playing around with this stuff before we yet fully understand it is way beyond stupid. With no way to know how it could get out of control, these idiots are playing Russian roulette with all life on the planet. The scariest part is that they know it, and ego and greed, and possibly other motives override common sense.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

Give me a Cat girl maid who is cute. looks like my friend i have a crush on and can be mated with and the rest of yall can go do whatever.

I can see now you want the Blade Runner deluxe model.... Maybe in another 50 or 100 years if we don't blow ourselves up first or all turn into gray goo... Unfortunately by that time you will probably be happy if she can cook and feed you.. wheel you around to a charge station when your battery goes dead etc etc

edit on 727thk17 by 727Sky because: ..

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 09:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: StolidPanda
Its scary playing God.

Why are we rushing things that can lay off more people. No job will be safe.

What if we make our usurper?

Some don't believe it possible, but I do. These experiments will only lead to something grander.

I'm all for scientific advancement, but what will be the cost?

Are you also opposed to computers? They've made many jobs obsolete.

Life on this planet is going to end sooner or later and if it happened today it would be the end of us. At least with science we have chance.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 11:23 PM
link   

By that time ill prolly be a cyborg hooker lol!!

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 11:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: MetalChickAmy
I am not against scientific advancement. However I think that playing around with this stuff before we yet fully understand it is way beyond stupid. With no way to know how it could get out of control, these idiots are playing Russian roulette with all life on the planet. The scariest part is that they know it, and ego and greed, and possibly other motives override common sense.

But we will anyway. Just like GMO crops with unintended consequences cross pollinating with natural crops... And a myriad of other little-understood tech that is monetized asap.

I was even prescribed a medication once (which wreaked havoc on me in less than 2 weeks) which I later learned, they don't understand the mechanism of action for why it has the effect it does, just that it does. This is fairly common with prescription meds - I don't often take medication anyhow - every 5 years on average, but needless to say, I won't ever again take something if they don't understand how it works.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 04:15 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Well, we have used more X-ray machines than atom bombs, used the syringe to cure more illnesses than we have spread by deliberate means, used robotics to build more than destroy, made more blades for tools than for weapons over the course of our history, and there are more cars built for the civilian market than vehicles built for the military organisations of the world. There are more lasers in consumer technology than have EVER been deployed for offensive purpose...

The track record is not terrible statistically speaking, its just that the results of failure to maintain moral and ethical validity can be more dangerous the more powerful or potentially world changing a technology is. That does not mean, however, that the technology in question ought to be mothballed, just that it must be carefully, ever so carefully regulated to minimise risk, and maximise positive potential.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 02:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: TarzanBeta

Goodness.

The Human species is not evil, only the actions of a few individuals can make it seem that way sometimes. This tech can be used for good or evil deeds(Like any other piece of technology). a reply to: TarzanBeta

edit on 26-1-2017 by johnthejedi24 because: (no reason given)

join