It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

80% of middle-aged Britons 'worryingly unhealthy'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Well, here it is.

One minute we are being told that people are living too long, the next, a generation could be wiped out by modern diseases such as diabetes, alcoholism and inactivity.

Happy holidays, peeps.

We neglect our health because we have children and parents to worry about and tend to their every need.

You filled us full of vaccines, we are stoic, we continue, until we can't any longer.

news.sky.com...
edit on 28/12/16 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

For all the medical advancements, for all the talk of government insuring healthcare of its people. . . . it sure seems as if everyone is always sick or we're getting sicker.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Well, I don't know about you, but I'm getting sicker by the minute.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978

Makes me wonder if good health is actually a myth.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   

It's far worse here in the states, scientific experiments and byproducts being passed as food and beverage.

Meanwhile our FDA doesn't recognize vitamins and natural supplements as real medicine.

No instead we get fed more science experiments and man made addictive drugs.

Your stressed? Here have a Xanax? Your kid is hyper? Give him this synthetic meth. Your back hurts? Try these opiates.

Just don't take vitamins, they're not FDA approved.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Makes me wonder if good health is actually a myth.

Good health old chap? That's just an alternative way of saying cheers.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   

k

Don't take allopathic prescriptions...they do not cure you they just mask or prolong symptoms. You are sicker by the minute if you believe anything other than your doctors diagnosis...go on line and cure yourself (Gerd or acid reflux is a great start point to understand how a condition becomes an actual disease).

edit on 28-12-2016 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Is there a mental health crises occurring among the middle aged (particularly males)?

They have the highest rate of suicide (although closely followed by over 85s) Suicide Stats
Men aged 55-64 consume the most alcohol, and for women aged 45-54. Alcohol consumption factsheet
Anxiety and low mood are reported to be highest among people between 40-59 People aged 40-59 are most anxious and least happy

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 05:36 PM
link   

I am Spartacus Overweighticus and I shall sing the same old tune on New Years Eve.
Diet start Jan 1st.

Untill then , peanut M&Ms.

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Well, sit in front of a computer all day at work and not even be able to go file papers anymore to get up and this is going to happen. Just drink lots of tea or coffee at work so you can get up to go pee three times an hour and it will be much better for you. You also have to walk to the coffee pot to get more coffee.

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 11:32 AM
link   
At the moment there is a big push by the authorities in the UK to eat healthily, stop drinking and smoking and seriously lose weight. It's all over the TV at the moment.
Now my take on this, for all those fat, oops I mean overweight bas**, oops i mean politicians in the commons and the lords and ALL the "overweight" nurses that infect the NHS START WITH YOURSELVES and when they have succeeded I'll have a go.
Till then keep your opinions to yourself.

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 01:04 PM
link   
This is just another way to justify introducing another tax. Getting the manufacturers to actually reduce or remove any unnecessary added sugars (because there are lots of them) along with artificial ingredients would be far better. However, this won't fill the coffers. There are so many hidden sugars too, all with different names and some not even having to be listed as ingredients.

The healthy way would be to purchase food as close to its original, raw form as possible and make up dishes yourself, but after the horse-meat scandal (minced beef that was from a horse) you cannot even trust that raw meat brought from supermarkets is what it says on the label.

Who on this forum remembers the food pyramid? I swear that the fruit and veg section used to be the biggest part, followed by meat/proteins and then carbs (bread/pasta). Why is it that carbs is the highest?

With the diet industry being one of the largest with eye-watering profits (along with big pharma) it does not pay for us consumers to be healthy.

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Aye, it will either be another sugar/fat/calorie tax, or it will be a way of denying NHS care to the overweight and the smokers and the drinkers.

Which, in fairness, given the cost to the NHS of treating largely preventable diseases like Diabetes is devouring ever-increasing chunks of the budget, it does feel a bit like something has to be done.

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Lol it's all about doing things in moderation really but certain habits do make us ill in the long term, mainly smoking and drinking too much.

Every middle age person should have an 'MOT' once a year, to make sure everything is working as it should; conditions caught early can also be corrected or cured more efficiently, and I am not talking meds only here, I'm talking about a holistic approach.

I am 46 and quite healthy (fingers crossed), I had my MOT a few days ago and all seems fine, my blood pressure could be better but I will try to start exercising properly, to try to correct it in a natural way. I refuse to take anti hypertensives at this stage.

The problem with 'being healthy' is that even those who are health obsessed and exercise lots and only eats good things, can end up with cancer or other diseases (and we all know somebody who had). We can try to minimise the risk, but nobody is free from it. We also should not demonize drugs as some people are only alive because of the medication they take, a common example is people with diabetes type 1 and insulin.

I am just grateful for every extra day I have to spend here with my children.

Happy new year!

originally posted by: YarlanZey
Who on this forum remembers the food pyramid? I swear that the fruit and veg section used to be the biggest part, followed by meat/proteins and then carbs (bread/pasta). Why is it that carbs is the highest?

In the UK we use the Eat Well plate, which recommends 33% fruit and veg, 33% bread/rice/pasta/potatoes/starchy foods, 15% milk/dairy, 12% meat/fish/eggs and 7% fats/sugars.

Eatwell NHS England.

top topics

join